Gene Chizik to coach Birmingham USFL team.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I wonder if the hotels and other vendors will require cash up front on all orders and reservations from people and players associated with this enterprise. Didn't the last league default on money they owed to everybody and their grandmother?
Are you referring to the 1980s USFL (the answer is "yes") or the 2019 AAF?

The answer is almost always "yes."

1983-86 USFL
San Antonio Gunslingers went broke and players weren't paid
Portland Breakers (the 3rd city in 3 years for the franchise) released their players because they couldn't pay
Bham Stallions owner (Marvin Werner) pulled out and fired 13 admin workers and released Joe Cribbs
NJ Generals (Trump) and Houston Gamblers (Jerry Argovitz) merged
They had several mergers of teams and reduced franchises to 8 to prepare for the fall of 1986
They cut all the high salary players except Herschel, 78 of whom were on NFL rosters on Opening Day 1985

A guy sued the Tampa Bay Bandits because he never got his $150K signing bonus, which put a lien on everything

the Los Angeles Express went bellyup despite a billionaire owner (who was only rich on paper) and the new owner (from Denver) saw a team $1 million in debt and suggested a $25K documentary be made on the team's cheerleading squad (I'm not making this up)

Not only did they leave unpaid bills and players but some of those guys later suffered from CTE and had zero health insurance once the teams went out of business.

Bama197

Scout Team
Sep 19, 2004
Just announced that now Chizik will be the DC at UNC so is he doing both?!?!

Crimson Steel

BamaNation Citizen
Dec 3, 2014
All of this will come to nothing when they go belly up. I bet they don't make two years. The Tide and Auburn are hard to compete with, especially in today's economy. Not a lot of extra cash for football tickets.

Reactions: TideEngineer08

uafanataum

All-American
Oct 18, 2014
Is it odd to anyone else that someone that by most accounts is considered a below average coach is also considered an above average analyst (and way better than above average to some on here.) Is it because ESPN hires such bad analysts or they do not let their good analysts actually speak their mind?

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Is it odd to anyone else that someone that by most accounts is considered a below average coach is also considered an above average analyst (and way better than above average to some on here.) Is it because ESPN hires such bad analysts or they do not let their good analysts actually speak their mind?
He is not a below average defensive coordinator. He was a stellar DC. Where he failed was as a head coach.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
He is not a below average defensive coordinator. He was a stellar DC. Where he failed was as a head coach.
Gene was certainly above average as a DC. I don’t necessarily know if I would go as far as stellar. It’s a good hire by Mack Brown considering defense was only a mere suggestion in Chapel Hill the last couple of years.
His numbers as a DC and his defensive stats has a head coach.

Last edited:

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
What could possibly go wrong? As a bonus, Kevin Sumlin is the Houston coach.

He won't last more than a season. He is not as good a coach as they think he is...:cool:

IMHO, he is the worst coach to have EVER won an NC.:rolleyes:

Reactions: AngeloToad

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Yeah, I forgot about him. OK, it's a tie for that one.

So reading further into the thread, he is going to be the DC at UNC? Hmmm, not a bad choice for Mack Brown. :unsure:
It's not a tie, c'mon. Orgeron is the dumbest human to ever be HC in college football. He's only once been a coordinator as everyone he's worked for knows he's too stupid to understand the complexities of being a DC.

I'd take Chizik as HC every day and twice on Sundays. I don't think he's a good HC, but goodness, he'd coach circles around the waterhead.

(Edited for accuracy)

Last edited:

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
All of this will come to nothing when they go belly up. I bet they don't make two years. The Tide and Auburn are hard to compete with, especially in today's economy. Not a lot of extra cash for football tickets.
This league is not going to be about tickets. It's TV and gambling that will decide their fate.

Reactions: B1GTide

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.

Latest threads