Georgia’s perspective on SECCG

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Listening to Cublic this morning discussing Rees, Milroe and play calling he said basically that the coaches said that Milroe was still not fully capable with his reads. Obviously he doesn't quite know where to go with the ball. My knowledge is not good here but it does seem to limit play calling. We all hope some of that can be improved prior to Michigan but if it comes down to Texas we will see a QB who can make the reads and get a catch
I loved the throws to the back out of the backfield, one which went for a score. That's something we haven't done because Milroe never gets through his reads to that point. Ergo, those were called plays not reads - look right, then dump it off to the RB. Great calls because UGA was ignoring the back in the flats.
I think this is why the offense is more conservative. JM is not BY or MJ who can stand and go thru progressions. Tua couldn't either as well, but he could presnap read where the weakness would be as good as anybody and then drill it into a 1 foot window as good as any I've ever seen at the collegiate level. But JM can't do either of those things that well at this point.

So, the offense, coming out of the bye week against LSU morphed more to 1-2 flood routes in the same area of the field so he didn't have to try to survey the whole field and go thru 3-4 progressions. This is also about the same time CTR started designing plays for JM's legs. This is when the season turned around!

I think JM's biggest growth has been the realization that when the play breaks down there are usually two slam dunk things he can do: run like the wind OR look for the short (usually wide open) dump pass in the flats.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I love, love, love the whining about the refs, etc.

Always with the excuses when Bama beats 'em. Always.

And I ADORE it.

Keep whining! hahahahahahahaha

THIS is why I hate it when people say such things as "I want them to be at full strength so there won't be excuses after we beat them..."

Can't you see? They will ALWAYS make excuses. Let them whine, enjoy their salty tears! hahahahahaha

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Just now chiming in...

On the Bond reception - if the shoe is on the other foot, we'd gripe too. But since it wasn't reviewed (and CBS didn't even "catch" (pun intended) it to a few plays later why does it even matter??? Nothing to do about it by then anyway. And 1000's of games where played with plays like that that occurred before replay and many of them still happen before replay can signal a stoppage even today. It's just part of the game...even if replay exists!

On our play calling - I see some genius in it from a conservative point of view, but I'd prefer CNS to be more aggressive and the two times that stick out to me were on our first possession of the second half when we went 3 and out. That possession could have practically ended the game with a TD drive. Second time was the opportunity after their fumble. NO way we should be settling for 3 there, but we did.

I think when CNS believes he holds the defensive advantage (as I think we did Sat.) he will always play more conservatively and "let the other team beat themselves" (which is what Kirby has alleged) but it's just one of the oldest tricks in football. Basically: Bama defense > Georgia offense. CNS just let it unfold that way.
just speaking for myself, i wouldn’t have thought that call should have been overturned had it been uga making the catch. he never lost control

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
just speaking for myself, i wouldn’t have thought that call should have been overturned had it been uga making the catch. he never lost control
I didn't waste any mental energy on it because I knew it didn't matter. I would have sweated thru the review (if it would have been) though because it moved...not saying it wasn't controlled but it would have come down to a subjective ruling and those become 50/50.

But again, it wasn't reviewed and CBS didn't show the replay until after we had scored the TD.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I didn't waste any mental energy on it because I knew it didn't matter. I would have sweated thru the review (if it would have been) though because it moved...not saying it wasn't controlled but it would have come down to a subjective ruling and those become 50/50.

But again, it wasn't reviewed and CBS didn't show the replay until after we had scored the TD.
SEC says it was reviewed (in real time):

CrimsonCleanse

Scout Team
Dec 5, 2023
I’m fine with whatever Kirby says.

I’m just over here polishing off this 30th SEC championship trophy.
I have a Alabama pen I got some years back, probably a year or two before Saban's arrival. When you click it, something different appears on the side. 12 national championships, 21 SEC Championships, and the number of bowl game appearances. I found it the other night after the SECCG and I thought, "dang....this pen is WAY outdated". It is WEIRD to see 12 national championships and 21 SEC Championships now. Those feel like such low numbers these days, even though most programs would gladly take it

BJ4TIDE

All-SEC
Aug 11, 2007
I disagree. I watched the game again last night and the offense was too predictable every possession with a 10 point lead. When you were trailing or they got within a score, you opened it up and went through them like they weren't there. That is not smart play calling. That is playing not to lose. I didn't care for it.
I agree. I made the remark “Great, we are trying to protect the lead instead of trying to put the final nails in the coffin,” at least three times. I didn’t like the passive nature of it either.

smith5753

1st Team
Sep 12, 2010
Guntersville , AL
It’s just part of the package of having Milroe as the starter unfortunately. Dude just insists on throwing long passes no matter what.
I agree with that, he also misses the checkdown guys fairly often, but we also run a lot of deep routes in those situations. I trust Reece knows what he has in Milroe and calls plays to his strengths.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Just now chiming in...

On the Bond reception - if the shoe is on the other foot, we'd gripe too. But since it wasn't reviewed (and CBS didn't even "catch" (pun intended) it to a few plays later why does it even matter??? Nothing to do about it by then anyway. And 1000's of games where played with plays like that that occurred before replay and many of them still happen before replay can signal a stoppage even today. It's just part of the game...even if replay exists!

On our play calling - I see some genius in it from a conservative point of view, but I'd prefer CNS to be more aggressive and the two times that stick out to me were on our first possession of the second half when we went 3 and out. That possession could have practically ended the game with a TD drive. Second time was the opportunity after their fumble. NO way we should be settling for 3 there, but we did.

I think when CNS believes he holds the defensive advantage (as I think we did Sat.) he will always play more conservatively and "let the other team beat themselves" (which is what Kirby has alleged) but it's just one of the oldest tricks in football. Basically: Bama defense > Georgia offense. CNS just let it unfold that way.
I don’t remember the drama from the game before we’re Burton with in, being harped on.
We overcame it. But it could’ve cost us a championship.

landonew

Suspended
Nov 21, 2023
I’m relatively certain that they’re making these decisions based on Analytics and other information you’ve not privy to, such as Milroe’s confidence in the midrange reads. This program has a lot of goals but I suspect that the fanbase’s approval of strategic coaching decisions isn’t one of them.

Anyway, my point here is that these games are being managed to maximize win probability and not to optimize margin of victory. So the fact that we won by essentially two scores comfortably doesn’t mean we couldn’t have scored more points if we needed to down the stretch.

landonew

Suspended
Nov 21, 2023
Last Point. The reason we lost the 2022 NC game is because Bryce threw two interceptions. We had almost 100 passing attempts between the 2021 SECCG and 2022 NCG. You cannot throw the ball at that frequency against an Elite secondary without occasionally throwing interceptions. The avg interception rate for NFL QBs is 2.5%.

This team is built to be situationally explosive because that’s the way to consistently beat Georgia. I know that’s not as sexy as 17 point margin of victory, but it’s got a significantly better average win probability.

Attachments

GulfCoastTider

Hall of Fame

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Last Point. The reason we lost the 2022 NC game is because Bryce threw two interceptions. We had almost 100 passing attempts between the 2021 SECCG and 2022 NCG. You cannot throw the ball at that frequency against an Elite secondary without occasionally throwing interceptions. The avg interception rate for NFL QBs is 2.5%.

This team is built to be situationally explosive because that’s the way to consistently beat Georgia. I know that’s not as sexy as 17 point margin of victory, but it’s got a significantly better average win probability.
No, you lost because your receivers covered their hands in grease throughout the game. That was the worst game by a set of receivers on a big stage that I can ever remember. Horrible.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
No, you lost because your receivers covered their hands in grease throughout the game. That was the worst game by a set of receivers on a big stage that I can ever remember. Horrible.
One of those interceptions came in the last desperate moments and made Georgia's win look far more decisive then it was. By that time we had dropped 6 or 7 passes, including at least two likely touchdowns, which had far more impact on the outcome than Bryce's interceptions. Had we caught the ball – at all – the game long would have been over, with a different team significantly in front. In fact, Bryce would have been taking a knee instead of throwing the last pick.

Last edited:

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
There's a photo that clearly shows Bond had control and possession when his leg hit the ground. Showing photos can be misleading. And the one that made the rounds was just that, misleading.
NCAA Football Rules Online: Part 1, Rule 2, Section 4, Article 3

b. If a player goes to the ground in the act of catching a pass (with or without contact by an opponent) he must maintain complete and continuous control of the ball throughout the process of contacting the ground, whether in the field of play or in the end zone. This is also required for a player attempting to make a catch at the sideline and going to the ground out of bounds. If he loses control of the ball which then touches the ground before he regains control, it is not a catch. If he regains control inbounds prior to the ball touching the ground it is a catch.
c. If the player loses control of the ball while simultaneously touching the ground with any part of his body, or if there is doubt that the acts were simultaneous, it is not a catch. If a player has control of the ball, a slight movement of the ball, even if it touches the ground, will not be considered loss of possession; he must lose control of the ball in order for there to be a loss of possession.
You also have to maintain control throughout the process of contacting the ground, which he also did. The ball is allowed to move, so long as control is not lost, which it was not.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.

Latest threads