If you're relying totally on the cloud to backup your data, think again

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
"Never turn your back on digital" - Bob Ludwig

"If your data isn't stored in three separate places, you don't have it." - unknown

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Never used the cloud myself.

I have backups to external drives and thumb drives... 🤷‍♂️
For personal stuff that's probably fine. Combine that with some small cloud backups and your personal data won't be gone forever if you have a fire, for example.

Lots of small businesses don't want to invest in the local infrastructure to back up their data, or they realize that local backups aren't enough with digital data, so the cloud makes sense. But it only makes sense if it's the tertiary backup, imo.

TexasBama

TideFans Legend
Jan 15, 2000
Houston, Texas USA
My wife tried using one of the clouds for storing photos, but didn't like it. I avoided getting into the details, but moving photos around seemed very cumbersome. So I got her an 8TB external and haven't heard any more complaints - drag and drop.

I backup all my work on a 1TB drive, but it's all ms office stuff and pdfs. I'll die before it fills up.

Last edited:

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
Dropbox works just like a drive on your computer. Don't even have to think about it or tell it to backup. It just works in the background. Other cloud offerings are more for actual backups and not storage. Make sure you understand the difference before signing up.

I use dropbox as my file storage. I then have google and icloud backup important directories and backup each other oo with our iphone photos. Also, amazon backs up my photos, too.

Probably overkill but hopefully in the zombie apocalypse, I'll have access to at least one of these so I can download pictures :D

Also, just came across multcloud.com which syncs across different cloud storage & backup platforms. Never used it but might start. Looks like it has plenty of good reviews and nice features.

Last edited:

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.

Latest threads