IRS $600 account monitoring (now $10K)

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
ianal, but i would think if it is a transaction that is subject to capital gains tax, that you would already be expected to pay taxes on that regardless of this potential rule.
You are correct IF it is a capital gain, but I would think that those kinds of things typically depreciate in value over time, unlike a home or salable, real property/land—and thus would not be subject to capital gain treatment. Under this new proposal, as I understand it, any $10,000.00 TRANSACTION would be subject to being flagged as a taxable event. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

Last edited:

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
You are correct IF it is a capital gain, but I would think that those kinds of things typically depreciate in value over time, unlike a home or salable, real property/land—and thus would not be subject to capital gain treatment. Under this new proposal, as I understand it, any $10,000.00 TRANSACTION would be subject to being flagged as a taxable event. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.
being flagged as a potential taxable event and being an actual taxable event are two separate things. i can imagine it would definitely increase the burden of record keeping/reporting for a lot of folks.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Help me if I'm wrong, but don't the feds already monitor transactions >$10K?
Yes, automatically. However, what's being proposed goes a step further. They want to match up deposits with what's on the tax return. This is a method of audit used for decades by the IRS, when the tax return doesn't seem to match up with income or net worth. This has been extraordinary in the past, not universal...

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Help me if I'm wrong, but don't the feds already monitor transactions >$10K?
Yes, automatically. However, what's being proposed goes a step further. They want to match up deposits with what's on the tax return. This is a method of audit used for decades by the IRS, when the tax return doesn't seem to match up with income or net worth. This has been extraordinary in the past, not universal...
Earle — I’ve been out of the regulatory loop for a few years now, so my knowledge is a bit dated.

Back when, the bank was required to file a Currency Transaction Report for transactions of $10K or more involving green cash — paper money.

They didn’t report electronic transactions of that amount unless the transaction was funded with paper cash. Seems like there were some other lower thresholds for money orders and cashier’s checks purchased with paper money.

Have the regulations changed such that the bank now has to report all transactions of whatever nature over the threshold?

I know you know this, but the IRS can’t handle the data they currently get. There’s no way they can handle what they’re contemplating. Tsunami doesn’t begin to describe it.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Earle — I’ve been out of the regulatory loop for a few years now, so my knowledge is a bit dated.

Back when, the bank was required to file a Currency Transaction Report for transactions of $10K or more involving green cash — paper money.

They didn’t report electronic transactions of that amount unless the transaction was funded with paper cash. Seems like there were some other lower thresholds for money orders and cashier’s checks purchased with paper money.

Have the regulations changed such that the bank now has to report all transactions of whatever nature over the threshold?

I know you know this, but the IRS can’t handle the data they currently get. There’s no way they can handle what they’re contemplating. Tsunami doesn’t begin to describe it.
Shelby, that's the current law, AFAIK. There are a rabbit's warren of regs on what is or isn't "cash." As I understand it, the current proposal is for ALL transactions. And I agree there's no way they can handle all that data...

Reactions: UAH

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
fwiw, based on what was in one of the articles in this thread, individual transactions are not being monitored.

The IRS would collect the total sum of deposits and withdrawals from bank accounts with more than $10,000 in non-payroll income. Information on individual transactions would not be collected.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I'm still not comfortable with the plan as modified and it's not because I'm cheating, either...
I'll give you one reason I'm against it that has NOTHING to do with "because I'm cheating". If "you've" ever received an "IRS Notice" involving any "adjustment" on their part to your tax return or request for "additional information", it more times than not turns into a 6-8 month (sometimes longer) nightmare for the taxpayer, and sometimes longer. The lag time in information sent, received, posted etc on the government's part is atrocious, not to mention trying to get in touch with someone on the phone to "discuss" anything. All the while automated notices continue to roll into your mailbox stating "Second notice" then "Intent to Levy" notices.

I JUST resolved an EIGHT MONTH ordeal with the IRS over my 1065 Tax return from.....wait for it...2019! I sent them THREE additional copies of partnership K-1's after I received the first request for "additional information" which they claim the K-1's weren't originally filed, which I know for a fact they were. The lag time in the IRS receiving my "stuff", posting it to my account, not being able to get anyone on the phone or call me back, was such that I was ONE notice away from having my "assets levied" for over $4,000 on a filing issue that I'd attempted to resolve in a timely manner. But since their internal systems are so bogged down and more than likely outdated, they couldn't in turn process my efforts to resolve the "request for additional information" in a timely manner on their end.

I can only imagine the nightmare that will ensue if these thresholds are lowered and notices to taxpayers for "income inquiries" increase by 10 fold.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
fwiw, based on what was in one of the articles in this thread, individual transactions are not being monitored.
I know this is about banks, but cash apps, beginning in 2022 will be required to report to the IRS transactions for any users who received at least $600 via the cash app (venmo, paypal, etc) It is my understanding the taxpayer will receive a 1099-K from the cash app companies. Receiving the form doesn't mean you owe additional taxes, but what it does mean is if the IRS sends you a notice regarding the monies the burden of proof is on the taxpayer to prove the monies had nothing to do with income. It can turn into a major pain in the tail and consume months of your life. Trust me, I just got out of an 8 month dealing with the idiots.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I'll give you one reason I'm against it that has NOTHING to do with "because I'm cheating". If "you've" ever received an "IRS Notice" involving any "adjustment" on their part to your tax return or request for "additional information", it more times than not turns into a 6-8 month (sometimes longer) nightmare for the taxpayer, and sometimes longer. The lag time in information sent, received, posted etc on the government's part is atrocious, not to mention trying to get in touch with someone on the phone to "discuss" anything. All the while automated notices continue to roll into your mailbox stating "Second notice" then "Intent to Levy" notices.

I JUST resolved an EIGHT MONTH ordeal with the IRS over my 1065 Tax return from.....wait for it...2019! I sent them THREE additional copies of partnership K-1's after I received the first request for "additional information" which they claim the K-1's weren't originally filed, which I know for a fact they were. The lag time in the IRS receiving my "stuff", posting it to my account, not being able to get anyone on the phone or call me back, was such that I was ONE notice away from having my "assets levied" for over $4,000 on a filing issue that I'd attempted to resolve in a timely manner. But since their internal systems are so bogged down and more than likely outdated, they couldn't in turn process my efforts to resolve the "request for additional information" in a timely manner on their end.

I can only imagine the nightmare that will ensue if these thresholds are lowered and notices to taxpayers for "income inquiries" increase by 10 fold.
I'm well familiar with that. One estate I represent had an annuity mature and it generated about $43K in tax. We filed the 1041, along with the check. Then we started getting the string of notices you relate. Our CPA (I hire CPAs to do the 1041s, as opposed to filing them myself) kept assuring me that the check just hadn't "caught up" with the return, which had been filed electronically. They said they had had instances where it took six months. Well, it took about three, during which time I received all of the notices you describe. Back about 5-6 years ago, I received the king of all "additional information" notices. It was a polite letter, explaining that they had lost our return and would I please make a copy of it and send it to them. I did and that was the last I heard of it...

Reactions: MobtownK

MobtownK

All-American
Nov 20, 2004
Mobile, Alabama, United States
I know this is about banks, but cash apps, beginning in 2022 will be required to report to the IRS transactions for any users who received at least $600 via the cash app (venmo, paypal, etc) It is my understanding the taxpayer will receive a 1099-K from the cash app companies. Receiving the form doesn't mean you owe additional taxes, but what it does mean is if the IRS sends you a notice regarding the monies the burden of proof is on the taxpayer to prove the monies had nothing to do with income. It can turn into a major pain in the tail and consume months of your life. Trust me, I just got out of an 8 month dealing with the idiots.
We have a ladies group that we regularly send small amounts of money to so that one person can make reservations and pay. On a larger scale - if one person books a trip for a friend or family group bc it's easier - then the transaction would be flagged because they'd be getting money - but it wouldn't be income at all - but spent right away. Moving money for convivence.

Am I understanding correctly that these would all be flagged too if over $600? Seems that the irs doesn't have the manpower to cover this at all. Not to mention the intrusion into people's lives.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
We have a ladies group that we regularly send small amounts of money to so that one person can make reservations and pay. On a larger scale - if one person books a trip for a friend or family group bc it's easier - then the transaction would be flagged because they'd be getting money - but it wouldn't be income at all - but spent right away. Moving money for convivence.

Am I understanding correctly that these would all be flagged too if over $600? Seems that the irs doesn't have the manpower to cover this at all. Not to mention the intrusion into people's lives.
I know this is nitpicky parsing of words, but welcome to the world of bank regulations.

The answer depends on what you mean by “flagged.”

I’m not clear as to what, exactly, the proposal covers. I’m not sure the IRS is either. Regardless, the bank wouldn’t flag any transaction as anything other than one that qualifies for what the IRS requires the bank to report.

It would be up to the IRS to decide whether it warranted further investigation.

So if “flagged” means “submitted to the IRS,” then yes, it would be flagged. If “flagged” means “warranting further investigation,” that’s up to the IRS, not the bank.

• Thank You
Reactions: UAH and MobtownK

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
That's correct and I just stated it above. They're interested in inflow of funds, not just cash, into bank accounts, which inflow and outflow is more than $10K and isn't payroll-related or a federal program like Social Security. It will be very intrusive. One of my banks emailed me this AM, urging me to write our (we may as well not have one) congressman and providing a form letter...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I know this is nitpicky parsing of words, but welcome to the world of bank regulations.

The answer depends on what you mean by “flagged.”

I’m not clear as to what, exactly, the proposal covers. I’m not sure the IRS is either. Regardless, the bank wouldn’t flag any transaction as anything other than one that qualifies for what the IRS requires the bank to report.

It would be up to the IRS to decide whether it warranted further investigation.

So if “flagged” means “submitted to the IRS,” then yes, it would be flagged. If “flagged” means “warranting further investigation,” that’s up to the IRS, not the bank.
Again, this is not "transaction" oriented. They are interested in each and every bank account which had credits and debits in excess of $10K annually, except for those with an identifiable source - 1099, payroll, SS, etc. IOW, you will have to reconcile your 1040 annually with your bank statements or run into trouble...

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004

It isn't a guarantee it will be flagged, it just means if you receive accumulated funds of $600 or greater through cash apps during a calendar year the app service will send you a 1099-K and in turn, report that to the IRS. It doesn't mean you will be automatically flagged. It just means IF you are then the burden of proof falls upon you to prove those monies weren't business/income-related.

• Thank You
Reactions: MobtownK

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
It isn't a guarantee it will be flagged, it just means if you receive accumulated funds of $600 or greater through cash apps during a calendar year the app service will send you a 1099-K and in turn, report that to the IRS. It doesn't mean you will be automatically flagged. It just means IF you are then the burden of proof falls upon you to prove those monies weren't business/income-related.
As proposed, 1099s aren't even involved. They just want the flow of funds in and out of your bank accounts matches your 1040 income...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
AGAIN - This proposal is not for "flagging" individual transaction and banks don't have to report that. What they're looking for is that, for example, if your bank accounts show inflow of, say $100K and outflow of $80K and you reported $20K in gross income, they will be wanting you to explain why the missing money wasn't income. And don't believe for a moment they're only after the $400K+ guys. Individual transactions have nothing to do with it. It's much more insidious. I have to assume no one is reading my posts...

• Thank You
Reactions: UAH

uafanataum

All-American
Oct 18, 2014
AGAIN - This proposal is not for "flagging" individual transaction and banks don't have to report that. What they're looking for is that, for example, if your bank accounts show inflow of, say $100K and outflow of $80K and you reported $20K in gross income, they will be wanting you to explain why the missing money wasn't income. And don't believe for a moment they're only after the $400K+ guys. Individual transactions have nothing to do with it. It's much more insidious. I have to assume no one is reading my posts...
Drug dealers will not be able to use banks.

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
Drug dealers will not be able to use banks.
There was a discussion I watched with a money laundering expert on how major banks handle money laundering. If you or I came into a bank with a legitimate 10k of cash for deposit into a new account it would likely be refused or would entail considerable paperwork. If a foreign national came into the same bank wanted to transfer $20 mil. from an off shore account for investment in the US the same banker would say "let's have lunch at my club and discuss how we should handle the transfer to enable your investment".

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.