Jalen Milroe is now the starter going forward.

Evil Crimson Dragon

Hall of Fame
Feb 4, 2018
Marietta, GA
I think Ty should still get meaningful game time. I think will need them both through the season.

I think the team boycotted Buchner more than Ty and it affected their preparation and motivation during the game.
Boycotting anyone is selfish to the other players on the team.....get in there and support him, and if he falls, support the next man up......childish crap has no place on the team

If this team makes a sub tier bowl, they can pat themselves on the back for their stand

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
Re: Ty Simpson being shunned by his teammates - I'm not sure that is the case. I didn't see a whole lot of evidence of that while he was in (Jace no block and Proctor not helping him up aside). The rest of the offense stepped up and played marginally better with him in.
I think Tyler Buchner is who Latham was referring to as "playing favorites." I think bringing in Buchner was Coach Saban's biggest misstep this season. There would always be the specter of favoritism in a tight qb race with the new OC bringing in one of "his guys." That probably never sat well the the guys and may have even been seen as a slap in the face. The new OC's "guy" who eventually supplanted both Ty and Jalen by game three and looked like hot garbage while he played.
Buchner is only here because Rees is our OC, end of story. If we had hired a competent OC, Buchner never transfers to Bama. Ultimately I still blame Saban for a few reasons. Any other year, he would have encouraged Milroe to transfer. When that didn’t happen, he should have gotten one of the big names from the portal. Play the NIL game, pay the kids what they want, I don’t care.

AWRTR

Suspended
Oct 18, 2022
I honestly can’t wait for Saturday. I have to see how all this turns out. I honestly don’t think Bama wins, but I’ll be super happy to be wrong. I’ve just resigned myself to this season being a wild ride I will probably want to request a refund for in the end.

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
There is a scene in the movie Miracle on Ice where the coach does just that to try galvanize the team. Bring in hotshot at the last minute to take a roster spot. Not sure it is working as well as it did in the movie.

Re: Ty Simpson being shunned by his teammates - I'm not sure that is the case. I didn't see a whole lot of evidence of that while he was in (Jace no block and Proctor not helping him up aside). The rest of the offense stepped up and played marginally better with him in.
I think Tyler Buchner is who Latham was referring to as "playing favorites." I think bringing in Buchner was Coach Saban's biggest misstep this season. There would always be the specter of favoritism in a tight qb race with the new OC bringing in one of "his guys." That probably never sat well the the guys and may have even been seen as a slap in the face. The new OC's "guy" who eventually supplanted both Ty and Jalen by game three and looked like hot garbage while he played.

Reactions: bamadws56

TexasBama

TideFans Legend
Jan 15, 2000
Houston, Texas USA
We put 17 pts. on the 98th ranked defense in the nation and people think that Simpson is the best. smh!
I looked at some NCAA stats and Milroe was 20th - 25th in QB rating. Not Tua level, but it's not like he's the bottom of the barrel. If I see us line up with 4 or 5 WRs, I will cringe though.

Sark runs some max protection 2 WR route. Not sure why we can't do that (besides the fact Sark isn't at Bama)

Reactions: Slowpoke Catracho

BamaInCummingGA

1st Team
Jun 8, 2017
Cumming, Ga
Similar opponent in Middle Tenn State: Milroe: 13 of 18; 194 yards; 3 TDs.

And I am not arguing for or against any of them. I am just saying calling TS a "gamer" based on that stat line is silly.
Problem is with this is you are comparing one's full game stats with a third stringers stats for a half after not getting much practice time at all with the 1s.

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
If I'm Saban, I gather the team and tell them if yall can't play for check in college you sure as heck won't be able to play for a check in the NFL...

Reactions: gtgilbert

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Not really accurate. Buchner was brought in because Simpson couldn’t win the job in the Spring, and it was either Thorne or Buchner at that point of the transfer cycle. Milroe was never a serious consideration by the staff until the fall.

Who. if anyone, Latham is referring to really doesn’t matter because it will never go public unless this season is a disaster or a monumental success.

Reactions: Cruloc

Ledsteplin

Hall of Fame
Nov 20, 2013
Florence, Alabama
I'm not as optimistic about Jalen getting a lot better(I'm not optimistic he can develop into a solid fbs starting qb), but I think your post is about how I feel.

And I don't think many people outside of this forum were surprised at this at all. From watching the national coverage it was pretty much expected that after giving buchner and simpson a half saturday that Saban would go back to Milroe.

Yes Milroe played poorly, but that was against Texas at least. Buchner and Simpson played really poorly and made like 4 plus plays between them the whole game against a really bad football team. That is a difference.
He had a couple misfires. But otherwise played pretty good, considering the OL and the blitzing. Ole Sis will most likely blitz heavy too. The coaches need to figure how to deal with that.

bamadws56

All-SEC
Sep 24, 2005
Fort Benning, GA
Not really accurate. Buchner was brought in because Simpson couldn’t win the job in the Spring. Milroe was never a serious consideration by the staff until the fall.

Who. if anyone, Latham is referring to really doesn’t matter because it will never go public unless this season is a disaster or a monumental success.
Which part isn't accurate? I agree with you on why Buchner was brought in. I am saying Buchner was the wrong person to bring in based on perception. Literally anyone would have been better to bring in as a portal Qb, anyone other than the new OC's old QB. That had a high likelihood of being seen as favoritism.
I also agree we will never know who Latham was talking about. Just offering a thought as an alternative to the team not liking Ty Simpsn.

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
Which part isn't accurate? I agree with you on why Buchner was brought in. I am saying Buchner was the wrong person to bring in based on perception. Literally anyone would have been better to bring in as a portal Qb, anyone other than the new OC's old QB. That had a high likelihood of being seen as favoritism.
I also agree we will never know who Latham was talking about. Just offering a thought as an alternative to the team not liking Ty Simpsn.
I wish they would have never taken Buchner to begin with. It completely blew up in their face.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.

Latest threads