Jalen Milroe is now the starter going forward.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
I'm no defensive expert, but wouldn't zone with two deep safeties seem the better plan for someone like Miloroe?

Two deep safeties will hurt his deep ball and he doesn't see underneath coverage which led to his two terrible INTs.

I'd put my best athlete on defense as a spy.
I agree. I would want my guys in
zone so they can see the QB's eyes because he stares right where he will throw the ball.

Reactions: BamaMoon

Tenntiderman

All-American
Dec 1, 2017
Spring Hill, Tn
no....they were both really bad(again, qbr scores of 15 and 20 for the game). And neither made more than 2 plus plays each. I give the edge to Simspon because he did make the one nice throw to Dippre.

All I'm saying is that Buchners performance would appear more correctable. After all, he possibly couldn't be that inacurrate all the time(or could he?)

That said, I don't really want either anywhere near a football field for us lol.....
Said this before...I might agree had Simpson been able to stand up and actually READ the field before getting blasted. Blows my mind that you can't see this. How is Simpson going to read a Defense when he has 3 D players in his face a split second after catching low or high fastballs? Same with JM. Buchner had problems at ND. Simpson doesn't deserve the critcism. I saw the game too. There is a narrative against that young man that I suspect has nothing to do with football. He got ZERO protection after the snap. Buchner got very little as well, but I did see some nerves I think. The boy is just not up to this level I think, and Simpson may not be Ken Stabler himself, but he got us on the board with very little experience and no protection...but to say he shouldn't play is over the top.

Tenntiderman

All-American
Dec 1, 2017
Spring Hill, Tn
I do agree with two things Josh Pate said. 1) this is quite possibly THE pivotal game of the season for this team. If, by some rhyme or reason, things click, they come together as team and win this game, it can get them rolling. If they don’t, there could be 2-3 other losses on the schedule. 2) Based on the performances we’ve seen thus far, I haven’t a clue what this game will look like. I wouldn’t bet my worst enemy’s money on this game.

This team is exactly how Churchill described the former Soviet Union: it is “a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma”.
Not a lot has changed across the pond since Winston's wisdom. Reading on that now.

Reactions: CB4

mlh

All-American
Apr 28, 2004
To be fair to Avalos, he was a very good QB in high school. Watch some of his films - Michael Vick kind of plays - but that was against HS talent. He was in over his head playing in the SEC.

Reactions: AlexanderFan

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
I went back and watched the Texas highlights, here are my observations...

1. Milroe gives us the best chance to win if we need offense, which will likely be the case against Ole Miss.
2. Milroe also presents our highest risk of losing due to turnover risk.
3. Milroe is a zero read QB. He is going to throw to the primary WR and most likely not see the coverage in the area, hence the zero read.
4. Milroe will be a major risk in the red zone if we are behind the chains.
5. Milroe can flip the field with one broken containment.

Honestly, I would play both Milroe and Simpson in the game based on situation sort of like Spurrier did. Let Milroe drive to the red zone, then let Simpson play ball control red zone offense. This approach allows both QBs to get better with game action.

rtr90

1st Team
Dec 7, 2018
5 of 15 for 18 yards with one pick. I don’t think folks remember just how bad it could be
That was only time I was convinced I would have passed better than lame duck Bama QB .. and mind you I have never held football in hand .. sports like cricket tennis but never held a football

:)

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.

Latest threads