Jalen Milroe is now the starter going forward.

TDBama78

All-American
Jul 11, 2007
I went back and watched the Texas highlights, here are my observations...

1. Milroe gives us the best chance to win if we need offense, which will likely be the case against Ole Miss.
2. Milroe also presents our highest risk of losing due to turnover risk.
3. Milroe is a zero read QB. He is going to throw to the primary WR and most likely not see the coverage in the area, hence the zero read.
4. Milroe will be a major risk in the red zone if we are behind the chains.
5. Milroe can flip the field with one broken containment.

Honestly, I would play both Milroe and Simpson in the game based on situation sort of like Spurrier did. Let Milroe drive to the red zone, then let Simpson play ball control red zone offense. This approach allows both QBs to get better with game action.
I think we need to be patient and let this play out ,a leppard doesn't change his spots and milroe is who he is, jmo I think we'll see Simpson before the end of the year.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I went back and watched the Texas highlights, here are my observations...

1. Milroe gives us the best chance to win if we need offense, which will likely be the case against Ole Miss.
2. Milroe also presents our highest risk of losing due to turnover risk.
3. Milroe is a zero read QB. He is going to throw to the primary WR and most likely not see the coverage in the area, hence the zero read.
4. Milroe will be a major risk in the red zone if we are behind the chains.
5. Milroe can flip the field with one broken containment.

Honestly, I would play both Milroe and Simpson in the game based on situation sort of like Spurrier did. Let Milroe drive to the red zone, then let Simpson play ball control red zone offense. This approach allows both QBs to get better with game action.
I think we need to be patient and let this play out ,a leppard doesn't change his spots and milroe is who he is, jmo I think we'll see Simpson before the end of the year.
I think you both see the issues and limitations of JM and what will probably be the only solution outside of dipping into true fresh Longeron.

I doubt CNS will do it, because he never has, but JD's suggestion is a good one. When the field gets shorter, JM's strengths become nullified with the shorter field.

At least Simpson would make a defense be a little more honest to have to defend the run and pass.

But, you both are right that eventually we'll probably need to turn to Simpson because it's very likely that the better defensive teams will figure out a way to shut down Milroes's long ball and if they can keep him in the pocket our offense will bog down like a south Alabama swamp.

IF that happens Simpson is up whether we like it or not. And, before someone says it, Simpson might not be the second coming of AJM, Coker or even GMac, but I'm afraid he will have to simply learn on the job if it comes to this.

Countrytider2

1st Team
Oct 25, 2021
LOL, so what is the solution if JM starts throwing more INTs than TDs???

Do you really think because CNS is going back to JM that means he's healed of all of his limitations?

If/when JM struggles, the only option is a game manager.
A week of discussion after Saban announced Milrore the starter, and I’m still so confused. He is so limited. The coaches are bent on not tailoring the offense to his strengths. We have a guy in Simpson who clearly has a higher ceiling, and would seemingly fit better with whatever it appears we are trying to do on offense.

I’m lost. 🤷🏻‍♂️

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
A week of discussion after Saban announced Milrore the starter, and I’m still so confused. He is so limited. The coaches are bent on not tailoring the offense to his strengths. We have a guy in Simpson who clearly has a higher ceiling, and would seemingly fit better with whatever it appears we are trying to do on offense.

I’m lost. 🤷🏻‍♂️
Yeah, I can't believe we are at this point.

At this point, the only sense I can make of it is we are at such a low point of offensive capability that we are going back to the "athlete" at QB, who also seems to be the team wants to play for.

The question is this: If he fails, there is no other solution than to turn to Simpson, who failed to develop at the rate the staff had probably hoped. If this happens, it'll be a learn on the job scenario and it'll probably be rough.

Either way: our only hope for a decent year is for a limited and unprepared QB (whichever it may be) suddenly clicks and everything falls into place.

Somehow the old adage "It's better to be lucky than good" may decide our season.

CrimSonami

All-American
Jul 17, 2011
Ardmore, AL; too close to 10erC

I’m lost. 🤷🏻‍♂️
You're lost only if you walk toward the latest waving flag and veer from the main path on the hike through the woods. There are those who think they know exactly the problem, who to blame and how to solve it then start jumping up and down, yelling and banging sticks against the trees if you ignore their attempts to lead you off the path. Just stay behind the leader of the hike and don't let the flag wavers grab and pull you out of the pack. This has potential to be one of the worst hikes in the Saban era but it damned sure ain't the worst ever at Bama.

ROLL TIDE!

Cruloc

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2019
I think you both see the issues and limitations of JM and what will probably be the only solution outside of dipping into true fresh Longeron.

I doubt CNS will do it, because he never has, but JD's suggestion is a good one. When the field gets shorter, JM's strengths become nullified with the shorter field.

At least Simpson would make a defense be a little more honest to have to defend the run and pass.

But, you both are right that eventually we'll probably need to turn to Simpson because it's very likely that the better defensive teams will figure out a way to shut down Milroes's long ball and if they can keep him in the pocket our offense will bog down like a south Alabama swamp.

IF that happens Simpson is up whether we like it or not. And, before someone says it, Simpson might not be the second coming of AJM, Coker or even GMac, but I'm afraid he will have to simply learn on the job if it comes to this.
Agreed, but by the time we turn to Simpson things could be spiraling out of control. Milroe has the reigns now, unless his issues have been miraculously solved, teams with good talent on D will force him into interceptions. There's a blueprint they can follow.

Simpson learning on the job is fine, but I do worry by the time he comes in, how many guys will have checked out mentally. Cause if Simpson is in, we've probably lost 2 or more games at that point.

tidefan39817

All-American
Jan 17, 2006
Bainbridge, Georgia
You're right in that should be the response to a defense doing that. Unfortunately, JM has yet to show he can execute that concept as it requires pretty precise timing to avoid the INT, which is why he threw two INTs against UTw... SO far, Jm doesn't start his throwing motion until he sees the WR is OPEN, which is too late. The ball has to be on the way to the spot where the WR WILL BE OPEN long before the WR even makes his break/cut.
I agree with that totally. It seems to be a horse to water situation. you can tell the qb what to look for but if he can not process it fast enough it doesn't matter.

Reactions: gtgilbert

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Agreed, but by the time we turn to Simpson things could be spiraling out of control. Milroe has the reigns now, unless his issues have been miraculously solved, teams with good talent on D will force him into interceptions. There's a blueprint they can follow.

Simpson learning on the job is fine, but I do worry by the time he comes in, how many guys will have checked out mentally. Cause if Simpson is in, we've probably lost 2 or more games at that point.
I'm an eternal optimist about Bama football. I believed CMS could turn Bama around!!! Not because I believed in him but I believe in Bama football!

But I'm at a loss to feel very good about this situation.

I'm rooting that JM figures it out/the staff figures it out and somehow we can make some chicken salad out of this mess.

But if he doesn't work we probably have at least 1 or 2 more losses and we are essentially out of the running for the SEC.

If the rumors are true that Simpson ticked players off and he's given the reins after another loss or two, I fear just what you said.

Reactions: Cruloc

tidefan39817

All-American
Jan 17, 2006
Bainbridge, Georgia
I'm an eternal optimist about Bama football. I believed CMS could turn Bama around!!! Not because I believed in him but I believe in Bama football!

But I'm at a loss to feel very good about this situation.

I'm rooting that JM figures it out/the staff figures it out and somehow we can make some chicken salad out of this mess.

But if he doesn't work we probably have at least 1 or 2 more losses and we are essentially out of the running for the SEC.

If the rumors are true that Simpson ticked players off and he's given the reins after another loss or two, I fear just what you said.
at this point I would like to know what Simpson did to "tick players off". that way we know just how fragile some of these guys are. Did he steal someone's girlfriend or did he call out the starting Oline and tell them to step it up? did he tell a wr that he was coasting and not running the route to get open? I wonder just how mentally fragile some of these players are at times. if they can not take anybody questioning them. Like many have said, there just seems to be no fight in this team.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Saban on Jalen Milroe: 'He's got nothing to prove here. Here's our guy'

“We started this conversation with the fact that, ‘Hey, we’re going to maybe look at somebody else playing the position. It may last for a quarter or whatever. But then you’ve gotta get ready to play, and I wanna see you handle this,’” Saban said Thursday afternoon.

“Everybody handles frustrations a little differently. And I think sometimes you’ve gotta direct your frustration, aight, and make it a motivator. You can get upset by it, you can get angry by it, but you can also get motivated by it.”

“I always remember Michael Jordan, one of the greatest basketball players of all-time, and he has three people when he gets into the Hall of Fame – the coach that cut him, the coach that benched him and the guy that took his place when he got benched,” Saban said. “And he said, ‘This directed my feelings for my whole career in terms of how it motivated me to try to be the best player that I could be.’
“And we want our players, when these things happen, to direct their feelings in a way that’s gonna help them be better players.”

“Jalen did that this week, and I’m pleased with his performance,” Saban said. “He’s got nothing to prove here. He’s our guy. He’s the guy that I have confidence in. I just had a meeting with him a little bit ago – and clean up some fundamental things and watch him play.

“… I think, in the end, this will make him better.”

glorydays1990

Scout Team
May 8, 2018
Sure are doing a lot to make everyone seem like everything is rosy.

From benched, to suspended for the reaction, to "OUR GUY"

Saban is saying all the right things. Things that could have been said before the season started had he really been "OUR GUY".

Saturday we'll see how it plays out. Hope he plays well and we look like the alabama of old.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Sure are doing a lot to make everyone seem like everything is rosy.

From benched, to suspended for the reaction, to "OUR GUY"

Saban is saying all the right things. Things that could have been said before the season started had he really been "OUR GUY".

Saturday we'll see how it plays out. Hope he plays well and we look like the alabama of old.
he explained his thinking clearly.

why do you keep saying suspended?

glorydays1990

Scout Team
May 8, 2018
he explained his thinking clearly.

why do you keep saying suspended?
because he was.

If you prefer me to say benched then OK. But he was suspended. There was ZERO chance of him going in that game. NONE. and it was known prior to the game. Call it benched. Call it suspended. And it was because of his reaction to the benching.

For JM and the teams sake. Lets hope he plays well.

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
That was 2003, and then the next year, again Pennington and Brodie were both injured and we had to go with Marc Guillon. He was better than Avalos, but that sure wasn't saying much at all
If only Paul Tyson were still on the 'Bama roster or could be brought back through the portal - wait a minute, he may be pressed into action Saturday vs. FSU as Clemps's own AlmosTy Simpson. After all, he did go 3-of-3 for 42 yards and a touchdown against Charleston Southern.

Reactions: We_are_Bama

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
because he was.

If you prefer me to say benched then OK. But he was suspended. There was ZERO chance of him going in that game. NONE. and it was known prior to the game. Call it benched. Call it suspended. And it was because of his reaction to the benching.

For JM and the teams sake. Lets hope he plays well.
Unless you can post a link supporting your assumption, drop the accusations.

SkullDuckery

1st Team
Dec 28, 2015
To me S
Said this before...I might agree had Simpson been able to stand up and actually READ the field before getting blasted. Blows my mind that you can't see this. How is Simpson going to read a Defense when he has 3 D players in his face a split second after catching low or high fastballs? Same with JM. Buchner had problems at ND. Simpson doesn't deserve the critcism. I saw the game too. There is a narrative against that young man that I suspect has nothing to do with football. He got ZERO protection after the snap. Buchner got very little as well, but I did see some nerves I think. The boy is just not up to this level I think, and Simpson may not be Ken Stabler himself, but he got us on the board with very little experience and no protection...but to say he shouldn't play is over the top.
Simpson looks a lot like Coker or AJ when they first started. The difference is we had an o line and defense then.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.

Latest threads