Jalen Milroe is now the starter going forward.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
What's the feeling you've got now as we sit at 3-1?

I think the key is the OL improving and playing like they did yesterday. They gave JM good protection, even in the 1st half for the most part. But the entire offense seemed to get in sync in the 2nd half. If JM can eliminate the egregious INTs we are in much better shape.

We get that Bama team we had in the 2nd half on Sat. and we can compete for the SECW, for sure!

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL

I think the key is the OL improving and playing like they did yesterday. They gave JM good protection, even in the 1st half for the most part. But the entire offense seemed to get in sync in the 2nd half. If JM can eliminate the egregious INTs we are in much better shape.

We get that Bama team we had in the 2nd half on Sat. and we can compete for the SECW, for sure!
My feeling is everyone has to keep getting better. Jalen, the OL, even the defense which has pretty much carried this team.

There is no margin for error. But there never was going to be. There was never a freshman Tua or Hurts sitting on this roster. So we have what we have, let's make the best of it. This team responds to Milroe, for better or worse.

Reactions: B1GTide and day-day

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
My feeling is everyone has to keep getting better. Jalen, the OL, even the defense which has pretty much carried this team.

There is no margin for error. But there never was going to be. There was never a freshman Tua or Hurts sitting on this roster. So we have what we have, let's make the best of it. This team responds to Milroe, for better or worse.
Agree and that includes the coaching; especially CTR's playcalling and scheming for JM. It looked better Sat. but still needs to improve. JM needs to have at least one called/schemed QB run per drive.

AWRTR

All-American
Oct 18, 2022

The team needs to see continued incremental improvement. You aren't going to reinvent the wheel at this point with this group. The goal should be to see small gains from week to week and hopefully, that will be enough to get through the schedule and for this team to peak to its potential at the end of the year hopefully in the SECCG.

It is very possible they will regress as well. They showed flashes against Ole Miss of where they can get to, but will they get there? It won't take much bad oline play or bad QB play to sink them. The defense is playing well right now, but there isn't going to be a lot of room for error and it won't take many errors to blow the season up.

Milroe has to continue to clean up his mistakes and learn from the ones he's already made. Bama can't make dumb mistakes that take points off the board, and they can't put the defense in bad situations. The defense so far looks to be able to keep them in every game. Every possession has to end in a kick.

This is on the coaches as well. TR has to call a game suited to Milroe, which he did better last week, and Milroe has to see the defense better.

AWRTR

All-American
Oct 18, 2022
Agree and that includes the coaching; especially CTR's playcalling and scheming for JM. It looked better Sat. but still needs to improve. JM needs to have at least one called/schemed QB run per drive.
Would it be out of the question to run a speed option with JM and one of the running backs out of the shotgun? It would be different and might turn out to be a train wreck, but I'm just a big fan of a well-run option play. I will watch Air Force anytime I can because I love their offense.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Based on the trajectory of the season so far, I suspect it's going to be the type of season where we feel as though it's two steps forward and 1 step back every game.

Sounds bad, but it's what everybody is saying. We are improving but we've got obvious weaknesses we'll have to work around.

Bottom line, with these realities, we CANNOT TAKE A WEEK OFF in the effort category. We're not talented enough, top to bottom, to win on talent without effort and attention to detail!

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Would it be out of the question to run a speed option with JM and one of the running backs out of the shotgun? It would be different and might turn out to be a train wreck, but I'm just a big fan of a well-run option play. I will watch Air Force anytime I can because I love their offense.
I loved the triple option and I realize you are talking more about JM and one running back running an option play, but I just don't see us being able to do it effectively without doing it a lot, which is what an option offense is based on: timing and repeatability.

I'm thinking more about seeing more of the play we saw Saturday when Roydell was a lead blocker and JM ran a QB sweep behind the big left tackle and tight end.

AWRTR

All-American
Oct 18, 2022
I loved the triple option and I realize you are talking more about JM and one running back running an option play, but I just don't see us being able to do it effectively without doing it a lot, which is what an option offense is based on: timing and repeatability.

I'm thinking more about seeing more of the play we saw Saturday when Roydell was a lead blocker and JM ran a QB sweep behind the big left tackle and tight end.
I liked that QB power play they ran too. What you mentioned is why I said in my post it might be a train wreck, but I just love the option.

• Haha
Reactions: BamaMoon

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
Giving the devil, Pete Golding, his due the Ole Miss Defense did a good job overall in terms of closing the run lanes for JM. That probably impacted their ability to pressure him and double cover making them more vulnerable to several deep throws.

On the other side of the ball I came away unsure what Lane Kiffen was trying to do on offense. There didn't appear to be any cohensive plan on how to attack the Bama D.

Here's hoping we learn to put the QB behind the center when beginning a series at their one yard line. How many times does this need to be repeated?

Reactions: BamaMoon

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Giving the devil, Pete Golding, his due the Ole Miss Defense did a good job overall in terms of closing the run lanes for JM. That probably impacted their ability to pressure him and double cover making them more vulnerable to several deep throws.

On the other side of the ball I came away unsure what Lane Kiffen was trying to do on offense. There didn't appear to be any cohensive plan on how to attack the Bama D.

Here's hoping we learn to put the QB behind the center when beginning a series at their one yard line. How many times does this need to be repeated?
steel had lane flummoxed from pretty early on. i was really surprised when they tried to run that trick play formation early on (and got a penalty). that seemed like more of a desperation move

gman4tide

All-SEC
Nov 21, 2005
Flint Creek
JM has to learn to step UP in the pocket. He always breaks and rolls right. There were several pass plays where he could have stepped up and right or left and continued the pass play, but he didn't. Broke right and was either sacked for a loss or ran outta bounds. Has someone told him he's not allowed to throw the ball away?

glorydays1990

Scout Team
May 8, 2018
It was good to see us spread it out a little more. Get out of the 2 tight look every play. And the called runs are definitley a good thing.

We got away with the huge mistake in the red zone, and still settling for Fgs too much.. but a big step forward.

We looked like we had practiced the game plan. 2 tough road SEC games coming in. We'll have to play better to come out 2-0.

Reactions: teamplayer

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
I saw some improvement from JM. He's still no where near a great QB but the important thing is getting him to play winning ball which I believe he is capable of. He can't ever think he's "arrived" though, really the whole team, if they try to take a week off they will lose streight up to virtually anyone on the schedule except possibly chattanooga. If they play balls to the wall they will have a chance in every game. Anything less and you can chalk up an "L". I think I'd just as soon have it that way because one thing I despise is low effort.

For Rees. He did add in the designed runs and rpo's we all expected with a JM run offense, but he still has a ways to go. When you have the heaviest OL in NCAA football and JM at QB with the ball 1st and goal at the one yard line. I'll give you three guesses what plays to run and they must contain the word "sneak" in the name. YET.... with a center who struggles with the shotgun snap, we ran a shotgun. What sort of next level overthinking brain fart is this? I'm assuming next time we see that situation we will see a different response or there will be an empty seat on the bus back to the football house.

As for JM's increase run load. I didn't see a ton of success with that. I think you do it to force the other team to use a spy. IF they use a spy they can keep him relatively under control because he's fast and strong, not necessarily quick. but we have to do it to open up the secondary. I think he can improve a bit with his pocket presence, I could see him doing more damage on broken plays than designed runs, those are always good because they demoralize the other fans, the defense, and there isn't anything you can do schematically to account for it.

Reactions: IMALOYAL1

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Idk how many games we'll win moving forward. But I actually think we have a shot at winning the West with Milroe.

Mostly because the SEC in general seems very average this year.

Reactions: AWRTR

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.

Latest threads