BREAKING Kevin Steele hired as DC

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
It's been a minute but I remember pretty much everybody being underwhelmed by that hire.
Dubose was on his way out the door. He had accepted a coaching position with the Tampa Bay Bucs. It was only after people “blew up” the phones and fax machines of Andrew Sorensen and Bob Bockrath that Dubose got the interview and offered the job. I don’t remember what the “national” perception was at time, but I do recall the ground swell of vocal fan support being responsible for getting him the position.
A classic case of “be careful what you ask for because you just may get it”.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Finebaum has lost a lost of credibility with me lately with his obvious trolling but he makes a solid argument here in terms of fit. Am I excited by the hire? No. Do I think it's a step in the right direction vis-a-vis the previous DC? Yes.

Given that the team wasn't far away at all from winning in 2021 and 2022---and Georgia could well have lost both years by similar margins---the gap between Dynasty and Has Been is quite small. Maybe these hires closed it. It's just not a home run slam dunk touchdown.

AWRTR

All-SEC
Oct 18, 2022
The difference between us and Georgia came down to one thing: toughness/aggression (you can call that two things if you want).

A big name coaching hire doesn't bring either, necessarily. What I've read/know about Rees and Steele is they are known for this.

Time will obviously tell, but these could be considered "brilliant" hires by CNS if we return to dominance next season.
This is a good point. Rees has shown he wants to hit someone in the mouth on offense, and Steele is a fiery guy that wants players to play with some attitude and aggression. We need a dose of that. How will it all play out? I don't know, but I'm excited to see.

I also remember people being upset with multiple CNS hires over the years and most of them have turned out to be good hires. Bama is so close to being where they need to be it won't take much to put them over the top. I understand the frustration, but people did the same thing with Sark, Kiffin, and McElwain and they all turned out to be good hires for the moment we needed them. Give it a chance.

Dubose was on his way out the door. He had accepted a coaching position with the Tampa Bay Bucs. It was only after people “blew up” the phones and fax machines of Andrew Sorensen and Bob Bockrath that Dubose got the interview and offered the job. I don’t remember what the “national” perception was at time, but I do recall the ground swell of vocal fan support being responsible for getting him the position.
I was two years out of grad school at Alabama and teaching in southwest Georgia when the hire was made. It was a completely different era then in terms of fan interaction. I guess message boards were a thing then but I wasn't on them.

Fun fact that I just realized: DuBose is younger than Saban. Today.

Reactions: CB4

TexasBama

TideFans Legend
Jan 15, 2000
Houston, Texas USA
Paul Finebaum reads Tidefans and then says the exact opposite to get a reaction. He's an instinctive click-bait contrarian who says to himself, "I can blow up the phone lines REAL good with THIS take." He no more believes what he says than Flat Earthers do.
I wish I were half as clever as Finebaum thinks he is

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
Have you ever thought that they may have not been interested? "They" meaning "big name" candidates.
I haven't because Schumann should be all Bama.

He went to school here and graduated from here and cut his teeth in coaching under CNS

I mean WHY wouldn't he want to come 'Home'?

Leonhard might have his reasons but I'm not sure what they are because Alabama is step up from Wisconsin without a doubt. Would he rather just sit at home for $1 Million? I mean maybe I guess but it seems like missing out on a huge opportunity.

It could all also be that no one that is Elite and can call their shot wants to work for CNS which is kind of sad.

Maybe it's true that we can only attract Rehab projects and Retreads that NEED a job to get their careers back on track.

It's frustrating because our stranglehold on CFB is slipping away.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
Paul Finebaum reads Tidefans and then says the exact opposite to get a reaction. He's an instinctive click-bait contrarian who says to himself, "I can blow up the phone lines REAL good with THIS take." He no more believes what he says than Flat Earthers do.
I dig it and agree. Just posting Monday morning reaction. PF is a scab that started and continues to make a living off Alabama football despite knowing nothing AT ALL about the sport.

DanoCanuck

3rd Team
Feb 5, 2020
When I saw the alert yesterday my immediate reaction was “oh no!”. This seems like a convenience/comfort hire more than a forward thinking hire. I don’t really like it but don’t really hate it. I’m just confused Saban would decide on a comfort level hire vs pushing the needle. He’s a decent coach but doesn’t knock my socks off.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
Is this the most experienced DC and least experienced OC we've had under Saban?
About like half of previous OCs - the average being ~4 years. Not much less experienced as OC, though much younger than most. Not as experienced overall as the others. Rees had been QB coach at ND 3 years prior to being their OC for 3 years. So, has been QB coach for 6 years.

Applewhite had been an OC for 1 year
McElwain had been an OC for 5 years at 1-AA Montana St and moved up to 1 year at div 1-A Fresno
Nussmeier had been an OC for 4 years
Kiffin had been an OC for 2 years
Locksley had been an OC for 8 years
Sarkisian had been an OC for 4 years
O'Brien had been an OC for 5 years + another 2 years as play caller/virtual OC at NE.

Last edited:
  • Thank You
Reactions: seebell

LittleLexi

Scout Team
Nov 7, 2022
Is Steele the sexy hire, not by a million miles. Are he and Saban on the same page on what the D should be, 100% yes. It's obvious the last few games Saban took over the D, just based on the alignments. I would expect this to expand next season with 2 people on the same page.

Reactions: REBELZED

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
Im good with the hire. The defense will be much more fundamentally sound. Our LBs will know how to run fit, and goodbye to the 1-4-6 alingment on 3rd and 2. He‘s proven to be an effective recruiter while here. I’ve worked with kids/teens for 20+ years. If a kid knows you care about them they will do anything for you. He will know how to communicate with them. I have no doubt. Yes, he’s 64 years old but has constantly been working with kids over the last 40+ years. They don’t expect him to speak the language. They want to know that he cares and will help them to develop. He will be fine.

Last edited:

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

He went to school here and graduated from here and cut his teeth in coaching under CNS

Leonhard might have his reasons but I'm not sure what they are because Alabama is step up from Wisconsin without a doubt. Would he rather just sit at home for $1 Million? I mean maybe I guess but it seems like missing out on a huge opportunity.

It could all also be that no one that is Elite and can call their shot wants to work for CNS which is kind of sad.

Maybe it's true that we can only attract Rehab projects and Retreads that NEED a job to get their careers back on track.

It's frustrating because our stranglehold on CFB is slipping away.
I normally agree with most of your posts, but I think you need to step back from the proverbial ledge just a little.

We'll probably never know why Schumann or Leonhard didn't materialize (if they were even interviewed) but if you are willing to say we were close to Georgia in the last couple of years (lost in NC game in 2021 and were #5 in the CFP poll this year and were likely better than teams 2-4 and were playing our best football at the end of the season) then the Rees and Steele hires seem to be just enough "upgrade" to push us over the top...at least to be at that level.

I don't think it's as fatal as you think unless you think we'd be better off retaining BOB and Gol*ing. If we get slightly better we are literally back to championship level.

I literally think just a slight improvement on either side of the ball gets us there...but I think we get improvement on both sides.

Again I say the one difference between Georgia and us last year is simply toughness/aggression!

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
We will be fine. Everyone needs to calm down.

Ya'll been screaming about lack of fundamental: Steele check that
Complaining about lack of LB play- Steele check that.
Better playcalling- Steele check that.
I am happier than a pig in mud. Steele will not have an uphill learning curve for the SEC and every coach on the defensive staff will have something to learn from him. I can say that I am confident that the defense will not be constantly gapped to the outside, Tennessee will not have receivers running dowfield uncovered without immediate adjustments being made, when a blitz is called it will be based on the expectation that theoffensive line will be outnumbered and the defensive team will not be constantly confused about their particular assignment.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
I normally agree with most of your posts, but I think you need to step back from the proverbial ledge just a little.

We'll probably never know why Schumann or Leonhard didn't materialize (if they were even interviewed) but if you are willing to say we were close to Georgia in the last couple of years (lost in NC game in 2021 and were #5 in the CFP poll this year and were likely better than teams 2-4 and were playing our best football at the end of the season) then the Rees and Steele hires seem to be just enough "upgrade" to push us over the top...at least to be at that level.

I don't think it's as fatal as you think unless you think we'd be better off retaining BOB and Gol*ing. If we get slightly better we are literally back to championship level.

I literally think just a slight improvement on either side of the ball gets us there...but I think we get improvement on both sides.

Again I say the one difference between Georgia and us last year is simply toughness/aggression!
No I agree that they are both better than BOB and Golding.

But we don't just exist in a vacuum and we aren't massively better than everyone else in talent anymore and Elite coaching matters.

I think we have a chance to be Top 5-10 in Offense with Ty but I'm not sure we can be Top 5 in Defense with Steele. Top 15 sure maybe, but is that going to be enough when UGA is Top 5 in Both?

Tenn and Ole Miss both have the ability to catch fire on Offense. Can Steele adapt to these new offenses?

LSU was also much better overall in Year 1 under Kelly and they will not be an easy out anymore and then AU is always tough in JH years.

I'm not trying to insinuate that everything is instantly doom and gloom and that we are about to just straight drop to 8-4 right away.

But even with Top 5 Defenses and Top 10 Offenses we almost always drop 1 game a year anyway.

It's not insane to think that can be at 2 losses with a Top 10 Offense and Top 15 Defense and 2 losses keeps you out of the CFBP.

I'm picking nits and probably overreacting to a degree and being a spoiled fan... I admit that.

I just don't want this ride we've been on to end and for it to end with freaking Kirby Smart and UGA taking our place.

Reactions: colbysullivan

REBELZED

All-American
Dec 6, 2006

Schumann is hitched to a pretty good wagon right now and even has some insulation given the "co-DC" title and Kirby/Muschamp being defensive gurus.

Why, indeed, would he want to take a lateral move to a program that is a notch down (pains me to say it, but every program is a notch down from UGA right now) and has more uncertainty (coaching changes, CNS retirement, etc) on the horizon? And for probably-not-a-huge-raise at one of the most pressure-filled jobs with one of the most strict bosses in the business, to boot.

To be honest, I never really saw a ton of benefit for Schumann to entertain our DC job and was surprised he was in the conversation.

And you pretty much spelled out the other reasons for other candidates in your post too. Leonhard has literally a million reasons to not take the job. Others might not want the pressure cooker environment of working for CNS/Bama.

As much as I am not excited about Steele coming back, I am at least glad that we are getting someone who knows exactly what he is getting into re: expectations and work environment. CKS must be ready to take on the challenge and that at least gives me hope.

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
I am happier than a pig in mud. Steele will not have an uphill learning curve for the SEC and every coach on the defensive staff will have something to learn from him. I can say that I am confident that the defense will not be constantly gapped to the outside, Tennessee will not have receivers running dowfield uncovered without immediate adjustments being made, when a blitz is called it will be based on the expectation that theoffensive line will be outnumbered and the defensive team will not be constantly confused about their particular assignment.
And the LB transfer from Jawja won't have to worry that, even though his co-DC didn't come home to Mama, he's about to be absorbed into a 'Bama defense whose recent rep was playing softer than whale stuff.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.