BREAKING Kevin Steele hired as DC

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Not who I hoped for… but who I have to live with.
I have to say, I'm also cautiously optimistic about this hire as well.
I remember his defenses at the Barn giving us difficulties. I believe the talent level is higher in Tuscaloosa. The intelligence certainly is.
Plus a guy well-versed in Sabanian principles can more easily manipulate them. He won't have such a learning curve. It will be more of "What's changed while I was gone?"

jjv0004

1st Team
Dec 13, 2017
Greenville, SC
“The GOAT just signed the No. 1 recruiting class with no coordinators,” the Ole Miss coach tweeted Monday. “Relax, Alabama.”
Finally someone with some perspective. Steele is the placeholder for Pruitt. Pruitt could not be hired yet. Nobody was coming to Alabama as DC knowing they were not the first choice and that the candidate that Saban really wanted will take their place as soon as Saban can actually hire him and/or they do not produce a good defense. Steele has worked with Saban multiple times before and can recruit. He will fill in nicely until Pruitt come back.

We_are_Bama

Suspended
Dec 11, 2008
I honestly don't know of anyone rioting or jumping ship. It's just that the standard has been established by CNS that Bama should play for the national championship every year and this move doesn't obviously make that more likely. I suspect everyone complaining will still watch the games and cheer for the Tide come September.
I didn't literally mean rioting or jumping ship. I was referring to the angry vibes from within the fan base these last two years. It's weird, because, I waited and waited for the call from Saban, asking me what I thought of the hire, but it never came. :)

mlh

All-American
Apr 28, 2004
I haven't because Schumann should be all Bama.

He went to school here and graduated from here and cut his teeth in coaching under CNS

I mean WHY wouldn't he want to come 'Home'?
I think you may have answered your own question.

westide

All-SEC
Jan 22, 2011
This is a good point. Rees has shown he wants to hit someone in the mouth on offense, and Steele is a fiery guy that wants players to play with some attitude and aggression. We need a dose of that. How will it all play out? I don't know, but I'm excited to see.

I also remember people being upset with multiple CNS hires over the years and most of them have turned out to be good hires. Bama is so close to being where they need to be it won't take much to put them over the top. I understand the frustration, but people did the same thing with Sark, Kiffin, and McElwain and they all turned out to be good hires for the moment we needed them. Give it a chance.
Bama has lacked intensity for several years. Hopefully, that will change.

Reactions: smith5753

STONECOLDSABAN

All-American
Sep 21, 2007
Mobile, AL
Lesley Stahl called me out for it.

Reality?

I don't hold grudges; just as soon as I get even, I forget all about it.

Okay, "forget" is a strong word. Have closure I guess.
Its something I got to work on every day. I currently work in seafood/customer service at a grocery store. I can have a so many great interactions with customers during the day, but my brain stays stuck on the one or two idiots who show up demanding I serve them after we have closed.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
That he was actually very good for auburn as a defensive coordinator and they aren’t happy we hired him and that malzahn would have been fired way before he was if it wasn’t for Steele.
That is a possibility - but the Barn has often had very good defenses. And like LSU, they always seem to play their best against Bama (a few blowouts notwithstanding).
I’m leaning towards the idea I read that he may indeed be a stopgap hire for a couple of years until Armstrong can take over. At least I’m hoping that’s the case.
He was always a pretty good recruiter. I never thought he was much as a coach, and his time at the Barn did come as a shock to me. He wasn’t at Miami long enough to make much of a difference, IMO, but I’m not sure he would have anyway.
I think the offense will be fine; I’m afraid Bama will require a bend-but-don’t-break defense to even make the Playoffs. I don’t see a top ten defense in any category except maybe scoring (the most important), and if they can do that they might make a run at the NC IF the offense can improve on this year’s production…tall order for our new OC.
How long until spring practice???😂🤣😁🤔😉

• Wow
Reactions: tmaxam99

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
Its something I got to work on every day. I currently work in seafood/customer service at a grocery store. I can have a so many great interactions with customers during the day, but my brain stays stuck on the one or two idiots who show up demanding I serve them after we have closed.
No matter what anyone tells you, and although dealing with customers absolutely requires the opposite behavior, the customer ain’t always right.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
Didn’t Kevin Steele talk a lot if smack about Saban when he left Alabama?
Only one on here can quote chapter and verse on that, but he wasn’t happy he didn’t get the DC spot, because the one who did get it was a better coach.

STONECOLDSABAN

All-American
Sep 21, 2007
Mobile, AL
That is a possibility - but the Barn has often had very good defenses. And like LSU, they always seem to play their best against Bama (a few blowouts notwithstanding).
I’m leaning towards the idea I read that he may indeed be a stopgap hire for a couple of years until Armstrong can take over. At least I’m hoping that’s the case.
He was always a pretty good recruiter. I never thought he was much as a coach, and his time at the Barn did come as a shock to me. He wasn’t at Miami long enough to make much of a difference, IMO, but I’m not sure he would have anyway.
I think the offense will be fine; I’m afraid Bama will require a bend-but-don’t-break defense to even make the Playoffs. I don’t see a top ten defense in any category except maybe scoring (the most important), and if they can do that they might make a run at the NC IF the offense can improve on this year’s production…tall order for our new OC.
How long until spring practice???😂🤣😁🤔😉
Their defenses were atrocious the first few years under Gus. Muschamp came in and by the end of the year they had somewhat stopped the bleeding. I have a hard time believing though that any success Kevin Steeles had at auburn came from auburn just being Auburn. Or the new narrative I am hearing is that it was really "all Muschamp".... who was there for 1 season. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
Lesley Stahl called me out for it.

Reality?

I don't hold grudges; just as soon as I get even, I forget all about it.

Okay, "forget" is a strong word. Have closure I guess.
Pure evidence that we should forgive others because of how holding onto a "grudge" will destroy our joy and ultimately us. We forgive for ourselves, not because the other deserves it.

Selma...I cannot begin to imagine the burden you carry. If I remembered that much, I would be miserable.

Reactions: UAH and Con

Saban4Ever

All-American
Sep 27, 2016
Cobb County GA
The mods on BOL, particularly Charlie Potter, said it is not true that Jeremy Pruitt was consulted. He stated that as fact. I tend to believe him over this Tony guy who tweeted that he was.

I imagine that Kevin Steele will be mentoring Armstrong and it is still not known what will happen with Pruitt. It would be nice to have him as an analyst or in a role off the field but yet somehow working with the football program.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.