Kudos to the Refs Last Night

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
So I think we have all ragged on the refs the majority of our games this season at some point or other; our opponents are the least penalized in he NCAA, we get nit-picked, refs are blind to holding, blah blah blah etc etc.

As such I just wanted to give a shout-out to a well refereed game last night by the B1G crew. Sure, we got away with a few penalties here and there, and UGA got away with a few penalties here and there. However the refs let the guys play, they kept he game in check, and called the penalties consistently and evenly. Also probably one of the first games I have seen in a long time where “undisputed evidence” was taken into serious consideration on instant replay rather than, “what is the impact on the game if we flip or uphold this call, what if it happened the other way and we got it wrong”. They didn’t make the game revolve around them and penalties, but the play on the field, and you can’t ask for much more than that.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
from a homer standpoint i guess u could say that.. but overall they did a pretty poor job for such a huge game.
Agreed. They were pretty bad. Refs in big games always get picked apart more especially if that big game ends with the "villain" winning. But the ref in this game stunk.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
They blew the review of the WR being out of bounds.

They blew a clear horse collar on Jacobs during Alabama's first drive.

They missed calls against us.

kyallie

FB Moderator
Staff member
Jan 17, 2010
Shakopee Minnesota, via Birmingham Alabama
So I think we have all ragged on the refs the majority of our games this season at some point or other; our opponents are the least penalized in he NCAA, we get nit-picked, refs are blind to holding, blah blah blah etc etc.

As such I just wanted to give a shout-out to a well refereed game last night by the B1G crew. Sure, we got away with a few penalties here and there, and UGA got away with a few penalties here and there. However the refs let the guys play, they kept he game in check, and called the penalties consistently and evenly. Also probably one of the first games I have seen in a long time where “undisputed evidence” was taken into serious consideration on instant replay rather than, “what is the impact on the game if we flip or uphold this call, what if it happened the other way and we got it wrong”. They didn’t make the game revolve around them and penalties, but the play on the field, and you can’t ask for much more than that.
I agree, the refs let'm play. We're so used to the ticky-tack fouls called by the sec refs, when we see pac, big,or the big 8? work it seems like they over look things. I think they let them play. I think the sec refs are the worst of a bad lot.

bama_fan01

Hall of Fame
Aug 25, 2003
Ranburne, AL, USA
I'm not sure the refs are that bad, or if there's just more "eyes" on them now. There are cameras everywhere - even on the official's caps for last night's game! With technology so advanced, you can count blades of grass between a player's foot and a yard line. When TV slows down the action to extra-super-duper slow motion, we get to see things that the officials don't see in real time, and then we give them a hard time about it.

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
They were awful. Jawja got screwed on some calls and I can't tell you how many times several of our DL basically got tackled with the ref looking seemingly right at it and no call.
“Awful” to me would have been ruling the incompletion in the endzone before we kicked the FG to make it 13-20 as an interception. That would be awful. Missing a backside half-second tug on facemask that was only picked up on a slow-mo replay is human. Missing a false start on that was nearly simultaneous with the snap in real time and ruling it offsides on UGA is human. Deciding not to overturn a TD because you aren’t positive the heel was over the line or right on the edge is a toss-up call and they went with the ref looking at the foot down the sideline vs a camera. It is what it is. And I don’t watch the line play as much as some of y’all do so I really only see blatant holds. We’ve had some massive no-calls the last few years. Can’t say I noticed more than one or two last night and I saw some holds we got away with too. But in general I had no real complaints. This was no Ole Miss 2015 or Auburn 2013 game where calls directly led to points and a loss. Just how I see it anyways.

CrimsonSEC

Hall of Fame
Jan 8, 2007
Brewton

I guess it's all a matter of perspective, I thought they were terrible.

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
I almost think they just said “Let them play” on most of the non calls.

According to UGA fans and radio personalities...it is all a conspiracy. Lol I guess they ignore the fact that our opponents have the least amount of penalties every year against us.

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
When Georgia blocked the punt they were called offside and it should have been illegal procedure. 10 yard difference. Refs also missed a blatant face mask, I think it was Buggs.

The worst missed penalty IMO was on the 80 yd TD pass. There was no green in between the receiver’s shoe and the white line. Huge play there.

IndyBison

1st Team
Dec 22, 2013
When Georgia blocked the punt they were called offside and it should have been illegal procedure. 10 yard difference. Refs also missed a blatant face mask, I think it was Buggs.

The worst missed penalty IMO was on the 80 yd TD pass. There was no green in between the receiver’s shoe and the white line. Huge play there.
He's out of bounds if he's on the white. If his foot is all on green (doesn't matter if there is no green between his shoe and the sideline) he's still in bounds. I saw a photo of the foot and had no idea what was called. My thought was in bounds but assumed replay upheld whatever was ruled on the field. Regardless I wouldn't use that to consider a call good or bad or say an official was horrible.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I agree, the refs let'm play. We're so used to the ticky-tack fouls called by the sec refs, when we see pac, big,or the big 8? work it seems like they over look things. I think they let them play. I think the sec refs are the worst of a bad lot.
SEC officials are widely considered the best in the nation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Toddrn

All-American
Nov 29, 2006
Woodstock, Ga
Both teams had 6 penalties called against them so at least it was even. Calls were missed and always will be no matter how good the refs are. Glad we won. Win with class lose with class. If you can't do that you should just keep your mouth shut. RTR

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
The officiating was at least balanced--On the deep pass, there's no way that call gets overturned--it was to close. it would have been the same had he been called out of bounds. They missed some, but we never saw the sort of mind-numbing incompetence that we saw from more than a few SEC crews this year.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.