Musk acquiring Twitter...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I guess I'm just shocked that people spend so much time on Twitter and put that much value on what is posted to it and by whom.

Decent suggestion.
I think anything like the below example (given in the article) would go a long way in cleaning up the "town square" discussions.

But the problem that is ultimately run into, regardless of the digital platform, is when content that doesn't fall into the measurable and verifiable category gets deleted because someone doesn't "like it". In other words, having opinions deleted because "we" don't like them or agree with them. That is where the tug-of-war comes into play. But again, the person that owns the platform ultimately should have the right to run it the way they want and if enough people don't like it, it will "go out of business" or only attract a certain "customer base". This may be the intent of the owner, to begin with.

1651158071384.png

mrusso

1st Team
Apr 17, 2006
I guess I'm just shocked that people spend so much time on Twitter and put that much value on what is posted to it and by whom.

I think anything like the below example (given in the article) would go a long way in cleaning up the "town square" discussions.

But the problem that is ultimately run into, regardless of the digital platform, is when content that doesn't fall into the measurable and verifiable category gets deleted because someone doesn't "like it". In other words, having opinions deleted because "we" don't like them or agree with them. That is where the tug-of-war comes into play. But again, the person that owns the platform ultimately should have the right to run it the way they want and if enough people don't like it, it will "go out of business" or only attract a certain "customer base". This may be the intent of the owner, to begin with.

View attachment 24450
I remember the days when if you didn't like what you were reading...you stopped reading it. Would be cool if there were a way to block someone you didn't agree with, unfollow them...I don't know, call me crazy.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
This board is even becoming full of twitter posts. For me, most are useless since I have no idea who many of the original twitter posters are. I've gotten to the point of skipping over most of the twitter links.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
This board is even becoming full of twitter posts. For me, most are useless since I have no idea who many of the original twitter posters are. I've gotten to the point of skipping over most of the twitter links.
Sounds like you have the same problem I have and a couple of other users have PMed me about - only the links appear, with no tweet nor explanation attached. With most of these other guys, the whole tweet opens up so they don't have to hop back and forth and open tweets in a separate tab. Since no one seems to want to attach a brief explanation as to what the tweet is about, I've come to the same solution as you. I simply don't bother with most of them. It makes reading the board too slow...

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Sounds like you have the same problem I have and a couple of other users have PMed me about - only the links appear, with no tweet nor explanation attached. With most of these other guys, the whole tweet opens up so they don't have to hop back and forth and open tweets in a separate tab. Since no one seems to want to attach a brief explanation as to what the tweet is about, I've come to the same solution as you. I simply don't bother with most of them. It makes reading the board too slow...
Same for me. And the more I read about twitter, the more I realize I had the right idea about ignoring it.

Reactions: Con and mrusso

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
Don’t know how, or why, but some show up for me and some don’t.

Still doesn’t solve the, “Why is this person significant to the discussion “ part though.

Reactions: Bamaro

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Still doesn’t solve the, “Why is this person significant to the discussion “ part though.
I typically only share tweets from people who are verified, meaning they play some documented role. You can usually hover over their name and figure out why they're verified. I'm not really interested in sharing some actor's view, but a noted reporter on the ground in Ukraine is likely a good share.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
I didn’t realize this was an issue. I don’t post many tweets, but I’ll start putting an explanation with the ones I do post.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
I remember the days when if you didn't like what you were reading...you stopped reading it. Would be cool if there were a way to block someone you didn't agree with, unfollow them...I don't know, call me crazy.
I remember a time when you "walked into someone else's house" you followed their rules or left (voluntarily or not). Then you could go anywhere else that would put up with you and complain about it.

Reactions: mrusso

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I remember a time when you "walked into someone else's house" you followed their rules or left (voluntarily or not). Then you could go anywhere else that would put up with you and complain about it.
Yep, nowadays people fully expect to go into other people's "house" and tell the owner to change the rules, rather than follow the owner's rules or leave. That's what "we" call fair nowadays though......I see it in most facets of life.

Last edited:

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
A large majority of Americans support removing posts with misinformation and other troublesome posts. I’m actually a little surprised.

From the article:

Between the lines: The poll also found that most Americans don't have strong opinions about what Musk's deal to buy Twitter will mean to the social media platform — unless they're extremely online.

• Just 39% of all respondents said Musk will improve the quality of discussion on Twitter, while 22% said it would get worse.
  • But among self-described heavy Twitter users, 52% said his involvement would improve the quality of discussion, while 29% said it would get worse.
  • Likewise, 44% of all respondents said Musk would lead Twitter to allow greater free speech, while 12% said he'd allow less free speech. But among heavy Twitter users, 54% said his involvement would lead to greater free speech, while 21% said it would result in less free speech.

• Thank You
Reactions: Bamaro
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.