Musk acquiring Twitter...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
This deserves a thread of its own. Believe me. This will come up in Heather's column when Go Bama posts it, but anticipating that, Trump's chances of getting reelected just went up like a SpaceX rocket...

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
This deserves a thread of its own. Believe me. This will come up in Heather's column when Go Bama posts it, but anticipating that, Trump's chances of getting reelected just went up like a SpaceX rocket...
Trump says Musk is a good man - tells me that he really isn't (as if there wasn't already enough evidence on that).

• Thank You
Reactions: twofbyc and 92tide

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
It'll be interesting to see what Musk does with Twitter.

Historically, he buys / starts a company then hires the best people he can find who are experts in the field to run it. It's why he's been successful.

Twitter is an interesting beast, as he's a self proclaimed 'free-speech absolutist', but he's also said he wants to open-source the algorithms and verify every user as 'human', eliminating all bots and spammers.

For example without the bots and spammers, I don't know that Trump can leverage the public like he could in 2016.

I suspect he already has a list of ideas to improve it and it will be better. I'm optimistic.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
If he does take Twitter to an absolutist free speech policy it will be 4, 8, or 16 chan in no time. It's the dumbest idea ever. Any positive changes he might make would be overshadowed and ruined by hate and disinformation. The lack of moderation he proposes is dangerously stupid.

Reactions: 92tide and Jon

TexasBama

TideFans Legend
Jan 15, 2000
Houston, Texas USA

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Riiiiight...

The russian bots had nothing to do with Twitter's impact on the 2016 election?

Without those the reach of the extremes is greatly minimized.
The extremes have now become mainstream, especially from the riiiiiiiight. People do not mind at all being very vocal or visible or using their real name to spread hate, conspiracy, and propaganda now. The landscape is far difference from just a few years ago. Bots do maximize the potential of such things, but there are enough real people now to do the job compared to several years ago.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
The extremes have now become mainstream, especially from the riiiiiiiight. People do not mind at all being very vocal or visible or using their real name to spread hate, conspiracy, and propaganda now. The landscape is far difference from just a few years ago. Bots do maximize the potential of such things, but there are enough real people now to do the job compared to several years ago.
I'm guessing you're conveniently forgetting how impactful the many millions of retweets of false news posts impacted the 2016 election.

And the hateful extremes are still the extremes, not the mainstream, despite what you believe.

Never thought I'd see the day people were frightened that someone had come along wanting to allow free speech (while not saying anything about loosening moderation or even re-allowing people onto the platform), yet here we have someone who has done what 'experts' have claimed impossible with multiple successful companies and people are already deeming it a failure.

The doom and gloom is strong with some folks.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
I'm guessing you're conveniently forgetting how impactful the many millions of retweets of false news posts impacted the 2016 election.

And the hateful extremes are still the extremes, not the mainstream, despite what you believe.

Never thought I'd see the day people were frightened that someone had come along wanting to allow free speech (while not saying anything about loosening moderation or even re-allowing people onto the platform), yet here we have someone who has done what 'experts' have claimed impossible with multiple successful companies and people are already deeming it a failure.

Toxic optimism is strong with some.

As I said and you probably read, the landscape has changed since 2016.

In addition, look at any site that has no to minimal moderation like he has proposed and you will see every one of them was a complete cesspool of vile hate, crazy conspiracy theories, and disinformation (intentionally misleading "information").

So anti-LGBTQ hasn't gone mainstream? Of course not in your view, because empowering some parents while deliberately weakening and marginalizing others isn't a problem? Anti-"CRT" (really, anti-history and current events and academic freedom, etc;...) isn't mainstream? Come on, man.

Musk has absolutely called for greatly impairing moderation efforts. He also said that banning people should not happen. He said he would only moderate to remove illegal content. He has said "bans" should only be temporary. He has spoken on these issues.

And after allegation of racial discrimination and harassment at his company he said workers need to have thick skin. Sorry, it's on him to not allow illegal discrimination and harassment at his places of employment, not to place the imagined responsibility to grow thick skin on those suffering from such illegal actions.

But there's no use discussing this further with you as your mind is made up.

Last edited:
  • Thank You
Reactions: Go Bama and 92tide

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
@crimsonaudio How can one allow more "free speech" on Twitter without loosening moderation? Why are people obsessed with the notion of "free speech" on platforms that are owned and run by someone else, something the constitution never guaranteed.

Maybe we should argue for this dreamland of "free speech" here on TideFans? I think everyone agrees that the heavy moderations is one thing that makes this place stand out. If Twitter was as heavily moderated as TF, then it would be a great services as well. The best thing that could happen to Twitter is for it to be shutdown, IMO.

Its On A Slab

All-SEC
Apr 18, 2018
Pyongyang, Democratic Republic of Korea

Once a lie, falsehood, half-truth gets out there and weaponized, the bots can spread it like gasoline on a fire.

And there is a sizable portion of our nation and (sadly) electorate who aren't really that into critical thinking.

I stopped paying attention to how much erroneous b.s. was spread during the 2016 election. It was overwhelming. I truly believe that the lack of that element helped defeat the Orange Nemesis in 2020.

Reactions: crimsonaudio

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

i'm not frightened. i'm skeptical when the world's richest man buys what he considers to be part of the public square in order to benevolently assist in the promotion of what is basically unrestricted free speech in the interest of the public good.

and the mainstream of the gop is at best, hand-waving away a violent failed coup and moving forward across the country with policies that are explicitly targeted at marginalized groups. and they are unabashedly doing this in the name of fundamentalist christianity. if that's not extreme, i don't know what is.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
i'm not frightened.
Musk will run it into the ground if he makes it the new 8 chan. That might be a good thing in the long term, but I am concerned about the damage it may do in the short term. Does that makes me doom and gloom? I don't think so.

And some ideas like somehow managing to get rid of bots and making the algorithm more transparent to users are good ideas if implemented correctly.

But I don't have a man crush on Musk. While he has done some good things he also has done some very bad things and his north star seems to be whatever puts more money in his pocket and/or seems to him to boost his prestige in some way.

Reactions: Go Bama and 92tide
Status
Not open for further replies.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.

Latest threads