Oregon over Oklahoma please (NOPE!)

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
Re: Oregon over Oklahoma please

ESPN could press selection rule 5D to induce an Oregon selection but seeing how their mouthpieces are already speaking the Bama-Oklahoma word I am not optimistic. Rule 5d states that the BCS, committees, and ESPN can modify the selections for the best interest of the product.

The reality is that the BCS has gotten really good at giving us nothing but a championship game to watch each year. The television value and true fan interest in these non-championship games have been so poor overall recently. Non-BCS games have provided more interesting matchups than the BCS quite a bit too often for being "top tier bowls."

If bowl system was really about the football product first, we'd get Oregon. Since it is about almost every single thing other than the game first, we're getting a undeserved 2nd bid to the Big-12.
If they cared about that we would have never EVER have given the Big Least/AAC an AQ status after the big boys bailed. Remember UCONN in the Fiesta bowl? And that wasn't a Final Four site in Tempe. You think they are stoked about UCF. They can wipe their rears with this rule.

bama_fan01

Hall of Fame
Aug 25, 2003
Ranburne, AL, USA

I hope you're wrong. I guess we'll see tomorrow. How many Bama fans would stay at home and not go to the Sugar Bowl due to the sheer boredom from drawing Oklahoma as the opponent?
Not many...regardless of the matchup, Bama fans that can afford it will travel to see the Tide play, and spend big bucks in the process. Bowl committees know that.

Craxycat

All-SEC
Apr 24, 2009

Not many...regardless of the matchup, Bama fans that can afford it will travel to see the Tide play, and spend big bucks in the process. Bowl committees know that.
Exactly.. Beat me to it. Bama travels really well, and OK does too I think, so that won't be a problem.

Add: When the Bama fans travel they don't think anything is 'boring' about their game I don't think. It is all about supporting the team. Heck we thought Utah was going to be horrid, but we showed up anyway. Turned out horrid in a different way ;)

Last edited:

Stonewall1959

2nd Team
Oct 5, 2005
Macon, Georgia

Of course we will. New Years in New Orleans and Bama playing Oklahoma in the Sugar Bowl? Sounds like a great trip to me. Would I rather have Oregon? Sure. But, all in all, this ain't a bad gig.

Also, I don' think OK travels as well as a lot of schools. Bama should own the Superdome that night.

Last edited:

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA

I would rather play the ducks BUT, playing the Sooners in the Sugar Bowl is an intriguing game. Traditionally and we should match up well against them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk, so my fat fingers cause misspellings and autocorrect makes my ships into...

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al

I'd rather play an Oregon or Baylor but Oklahoma is anything but boring. We will still have to bring our "A" game against anyone we play.

tru2thaduce

All-SEC
Nov 25, 2005
Wichita,Kansas

Give me Oregon all day.That would be an awesome game and the color contrast in the crowd wouuld be fun.If we play the Sooners,we will all look the same.

Rolltide_PA

1st Team
Jul 31, 2011

I hope you're wrong. I guess we'll see tomorrow. How many Bama fans would stay at home and not go to the Sugar Bowl due to the sheer boredom from drawing Oklahoma as the opponent?
for most of us has little to do with the opponent, more to do with the site (well, for us that have to travel to game). the prospect of playing in New Orleans for 3rd time in 6 years is about as exciting as OU's offense

my decision will be simply based on do i really want to fly to new orleans yet again, or spend my cash of a different away game next season. don't really care if it's Oregon, OU, Clemson, etc...

from where i live, PGH, there isn't a single direct flight to NO so things like that play a bigger part than the opponent.

Rolltide_PA

1st Team
Jul 31, 2011

What is the pick order? Rose bowl is set. Orange has two openings. Sugar has two openings. Fiesta has one opening. Is it Orange, Sugar, Fiesta, Sugar, Orange?
1. The top two teams in the final BCS Standings will be placed in the National Championship Game (hereinafter "NCG").
2. Unless they qualify to play in the NCG, the champions of selected conferences are contractually committed to host selected games:
• Atlantic Coast Conference - Orange Bowl
• Big Ten Conference - Rose Bowl
• Big 12 Conference - Fiesta Bowl
• Pac-12 Conference - Rose Bowl
• Southeastern Conference - Sugar Bowl

3. If a bowl loses a host team to the NCG, then such bowl shall select a replacement team from among the automatic-qualifying teams and the at-large teams before any other selections are made. If two bowls lose host teams to the NCG, each bowl will get a replacement pick before any other selections are made. In such case, the bowl losing the No. 1 team gets the first replacement pick, and the bowl losing the No. 2 team gets the second replacement pick. If the Rose Bowl loses both the Big Ten and Pac-12 champions to the NCG, it will receive two replacement picks.
A bowl choosing a replacement team may not select:
A. A team in the NCG, or
B. The host team for another BCS Bowl;
Further, when two bowls lose host teams, the bowl losing the No. 1 team may not select a replacement team from the same conference as the No. 2 team, unless the bowl losing the No. 2 team consents.
4. After steps No. 1, 2, and 3 have been completed, any bowl with an unfilled slot shall select a team from the automatic qualifiers and/or at-large teams in the following order:
• January 2014 games - Orange, Sugar, Fiesta
All teams earning automatic berths must be selected.

CrimsonCrusade

1st Team
Nov 9, 2011
Cookeville, TN

Playing Oklahoma would be just as boring as playing Utah was. For many teams, the bowl system is a great way to end the season on a high-note. But for this squad, that had every opportunity to beat Auburn and no doubt cruise past that pitiful Mizzou squad, the bowl is a sorry parting gift. I'm sorry to say that. I will still watch the game and pull for the Tide, but I think it's a fact that this game is meaningless for the Tide. Win and the trophy will collect dust in the shadow of the crystal balls, lose and you're nationally humiliated. I don't consider 11-1 a failure, but the bowl doesn't have any impact on my opinion of this team's season. 12-1 or 11-2 holds no importance to me.

Last edited:

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA

Bowl Bama Bowl. We have a rich history of championships and bowl games. I welcome another major bowl win no matter the opponent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk, so my fat fingers cause misspellings and autocorrect makes my ships into...

CapstoneGrad06

Hall of Fame
Jan 19, 2006
Houston, Texas

Playing Oklahoma would be just as boring as playing Utah was. For many teams, the bowl system is a great way to end the season on a high-note. But for this squad, that had every opportunity to beat Auburn and no doubt cruise past that pitiful Mizzou squad, the bowl is a sorry parting gift. I'm sorry to say that. I will still watch the game and pull for the Tide, but I think it's a fact that this game is meaningless for the Tide. Win and the trophy will collect dust in the shadow of the crystal balls, lose and you're nationally humiliated. I don't consider 11-1 a failure, but the bowl doesn't have any impact on my opinion of this team's season. 12-1 or 11-2 holds no importance to me.
Talk about no appreciation...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA

I wonder how they're going to justify choosing a boring matchup that has no national interest whatsoever, made to satisfy business interests (no offense to you, your team is not the boring one) over one that many have wanted to see now for several years and that would have some considerably more national hype.
Sadly, they do it all the time.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.