Proposed new award for "Filthiest Player" - the Fairley Award...

RTRFanatic

All-SEC
Aug 8, 2009
I didn't see the 4th quarter last night, so I just watched the last few minutes of the games on CBSC. The Auburn fans patting the first ejected player on the back... made me want to throw up.

Seeing Gene Chizik's reaction (or lack of) on the sideline makes it hard for me to believe he's going to "correct" any of that behavior or whatever it was he said he was going to do.
Posted via Mobile Device

disneybama

Suspended
Oct 7, 2010
I agree and I believe it is also the reason that it will be a slow process by the NCAA to look deep into the Cam eligibilty case. If Auburn is out then it will likely be a BSU or TCU vs. Oregon in the BCS CG and I doubt that they want that.
I think that this reasonong might keep Slive from holding Fairley out, but it would not apply to the NCAA. Slive wants an SEC team in the BCSCG. But think about the people running the NCAA. They are exactly the type of people who think that the BCS is unfair to teams like TCU and BSU. They would love to have those two teams matched up in the BCSCG, with no BCS conference teams in the game.

PacadermaTideUs

All-American
Dec 10, 2009
Navarre, FL
I didn't see the 4th quarter last night, so I just watched the last few minutes of the games on CBSC. The Auburn fans patting the first ejected player on the back... made me want to throw up.

Seeing Gene Chizik's reaction (or lack of) on the sideline makes it hard for me to believe he's going to "correct" any of that behavior or whatever it was he said he was going to do.
Posted via Mobile Device
I think this article makes it clear that there's nothing to correct. It's all just human error. "Whoops!"

Dothan Eagle:

The two ejections came at the end of a contentious game, one that included 162 penalty yards, a Georgia chop block on Fairley and a number of hard Fairley hits on quarterback Aaron Murray, one of which drew a roughing the passer call.

“I’ve seen every play. And again, that’s not what we do here,” Chizik said.

“Everything we’re going to do is with effort, with great effort. Are we going to make a mistake here and there with an intensive effort? Yes. That’s going to happen because it’s human error.

“But I can assure you certainly nothing is ever done intentionally to harm another player. That’s not happening.”

Alabama22

1st Team
Aug 3, 2010
Alabama
If the O-line can't do a better job he may kill Greg. I am worried what will happen. The Farm Team from the Barn has become arrogant and confident they are untouchable. They have played like thugs from the beginning of the year without being called for it very often. Today was rough even though the refs started out policing the game pretty well. The order degraded without penalties and the ugliness at the end happened because the refs had allowed the extra stuff to go on. This should never happen, the guys could suffer permanent physical damage. I am sure we can count on the SEC to take action to stop it (just like they are taking care of Scam's pay for play). Right?
Keep in mind that AU coaches could have stopped this nonsense had they wanted to. So all of the blame shouldn't be placed on the refs.

Alabama22

1st Team
Aug 3, 2010
Alabama
Not kidding at all.
Well, I can tell you this. My wife is an AU grad, and we're going to the game. I'm an Alabama grad, but if anybody lays a hand on her, it's not going to be pretty. I totally disagree with Fairley's behavior on the field, but you should be ashamed of yourself for stating such! You have officially stooped to the level of the aubies that support his dirty play, and you should not be allowed in this forum stating what you stated.

Whiz

1st Team
Jan 6, 2005
Chelsea, AL
From Tony Barnhart:

2. Auburn coach Gene Chizik needs to have a talk with Nick Fairley. I was very disappointed with the end of the Georgia-Auburn game on Saturday. We came really close to a bench-clearing brawl and that is not supposed to happen in Auburn-Georgia. It has never been that kind of rivalry.

Two Auburn players–defensive end Michael Goggins and defensive tackle Mike Blanc–were ejected. Both will have to sit out the first half of the next game with Alabama. Georgia coach Mark Richt chose to take a knee on the last play of the game rather than risk another fight. That was the prudent thing to do.

After the game Auburn coach Gene Chizik said he was “embarrassed” by the way his players behaved at the end of the game.

“That’s not who we are,” said Chizik. “That’s not the way we carry ourselves, and we will address it.”

I agree with Coach Chizik. That’s not Auburn. And for Auburn to address the problem Chizik needs to begin his conversations on this subject with Nick Fairley. Fairley is a great football player but even the most strident Auburn fan has to understand that the hit he put on Georgia quarterback Aaron Murray earlier in the day has no place in the game. Gary Danielson of CBS pointed out that such hits in the NFL easily draw a fine. I came home Saturday night and watched the entire game again. More than once Danielson had to point out that Fairley was being too aggressive in driving the quarterback into the ground, a practice that the NFL has cleaned up.

Understand that the late game skirmish didn’t break out just because of Fairley’s helmet to the knee of Murray at the end. That was a borderline play. It had been building the whole game.

And for the Auburn fans who are going to get mad at this I will simply say: If you accepted my defense of Newton for the last 12 days I would ask you to keep an open mind and go back and look at the game tape. You have a problem here that needs to be addressed.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
This may be a stupid question..If the SEC tells auburn after looking at the cheap shots by Fairley..He's suspended rest of the year..What would happen if they gave the SEC the finger as well & played Fairley..

carder24

All-American
Sep 1, 2007
Huntsville, AL
another pretty good assessment:

But his planting the crown of his helmet into the middle of Aaron Murray’s back well, well after the Georgia quarterback released the ball was an inexcusable and beyond-dirty play. If I’m the SEC, I’m sitting his ... down for a game, especially when you factor in the borderline cheap shot that injured Murray late in the game. I’m far from a proponent of the wussification of the game that’s taken place over the past couple of years, but that kind of asinine crap does not belong in the game. Of course, my wailing and gnashing of teeth will fall on deaf ears in the league office, but at least I got it off my chest.
Winners & Losers: ‘HBC Swamp Stomp’ edition | CollegeFootballTalk

:BigA:

Heather

All-SEC
Aug 29, 2010
The country does not sound too pleased with #90.

Lot of folks are pretty upset right now. The guy who runs the website SportsbyBrooks was just on radio and he sounded pretty disgusted.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.