Retirement

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
Retirement is under-rated. I retired 3 years ago (at 66) and it has taken that long for me to "decompress." I still help a church on Sunday only...preaching...but nowhere near the pressure of the full time pastorate. No, I'm not rolling in dough...but we live close to the vest and really, really enjoy life. We are down at Anna Maria Island, visiting my wife's twin sister -- and I spent the day on the beach relaxing and fly fishing. I play golf 3x per week at a semi-private course...and read, watch movies, work out and enjoy life.

Have you retired? What are you doing? Let's share some nuggets of how to enjoy life...

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Goodness, that has to be stressful, taking on the pain of others.
That is the tough part of ministry...you have to carry their pain if you're worth a darn...the best ministers are not the people you see on tv or in megachurches...they are usually just gifted orators. The best are in the homes, emergency rooms, and OR waiting rooms...not to mention funeral homes, etc. It's a great calling...but it better be that or you will never make it.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
I have 10 years, and maybe I will retire. Financially, 3 years ago we were debt free, but since have accumulated a moderate load. having worked only 5 months of the last 16, due to injuries, I feel retired, or maybe just tired. My plan was to move down to Bazza‘s neighborhood upon retirement, but we sold that house. I don’t know, I think I plan on remodeling the house we live in now, and retire here in the woods of western Georgia.

Rolltide51

1st Team
Nov 24, 2019
i've been retired from teaching for 11 years. 26 years teaching special ed. and 3 years of regular ed for a total of
29 years. for the first eight years i volunteered with habitat for humanity two days a week and with red cross for one day a week but i have given both up due to low back issues. i'm involved in my church and do some woodworking. i run/walk between 42/48 miles per month and do some light weights. i'll be 71 in 3 weeks and stay as busy as i want to. i consider my self to still be mentally alert although about six weeks ago i put my boxer shorts on backwards and was walking out the door but decided to have a pit stop before hand and it's a good thing i did. since i retired i don't use upper case letters since it takes too much time.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
i've been retired from teaching for 11 years. 26 years teaching special ed. and 3 years of regular ed for a total of
29 years. for the first eight years i volunteered with habitat for humanity two days a week and with red cross for one day a week but i have given both up due to low back issues. i'm involved in my church and do some woodworking. i run/walk between 42/48 miles per month and do some light weights. i'll be 71 in 3 weeks and stay as busy as i want to. i consider my self to still be mentally alert although about six weeks ago i put my boxer shorts on backwards and was walking out the door but decided to have a pit stop before hand and it's a good thing i did. since i retired i don't use upper case letters since it takes too much time.
I can relate to the back issues, walking, and brain farts...

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
I never knew you were a minister @Padreruf - but now that I look closer at your call sign - sure - I can see it! :)

I consider myself semi-retired (as of last year) and will turn 66 this June.

I still work in my field (horticulture) but left all the stressful type work behind. What I'm doing now is more like gardening - instead of the design build stuff that was my forte for many years.

I know what you mean by transitioning - it's a very surreal feeling - that's for sure. And different for everyone.

For now I'm still catching up on personal projects so doesn't feel like retirement - but having more control over my daily routine is the important part - not actually stopping work.

Paying into the system (social security) over the years and paying off my mortgage several years ago really has helped, financially. But I still like making income so will keep my toe in the water for a while. Hopefully at least until 80 like Earle! ;)

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
Retirement is under-rated. I retired 3 years ago (at 66) and it has taken that long for me to "decompress." I still help a church on Sunday only...preaching...but nowhere near the pressure of the full time pastorate. No, I'm not rolling in dough...but we live close to the vest and really, really enjoy life. We are down at Anna Maria Island, visiting my wife's twin sister -- and I spent the day on the beach relaxing and fly fishing. I play golf 3x per week at a semi-private course...and read, watch movies, work out and enjoy life.

Have you retired? What are you doing? Let's share some nuggets of how to enjoy life...
I retired in 2008. I love it.
More time for Hunting, Fishing. Camping and a little more driving on forgotten back roads. Retirement also gives me time to cook. I love it. My wife finally retired in 2016. She makes my life complete.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
Just turned 60, retiring in two weeks...

Plenty of things to keep me active and I plan to travel a little.

I've already got a pretty good exercise routine going and will add a little to that. I do a little rough woodworking and have some home projects to get going on. I plan to start back fishing and will hunt more during the season.

I have a trip planned for Universal Studios and Disney World the 2nd week into my retirement and will visit Disney World with my son and his family again in March. I plan to visit Cedar Point when it opens back up in May (may be cold) before the schools let out; never been there...

Last edited:

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
I'm 66 and have been self employed my entire career. I just turned 66 this month and consider myself retired. I still have my office and some rental property I own, so I guess it's not a full retirement, but I enjoy what I do. I don't chase real estate sales any more, although if one falls in my lap I will write it up.

My mother passed this past year at 91, a good bit of my time was spent helping her. Her passing freed up a lot of my time. I was recently asked to be an occasional driver for a family friend who has a new medical situation that keeps him from driving. He's 76, and it makes me feel useful to help him out and give him a sense of independence.

A friend once told me the mark of being older is when you spend more time thinking about food than you do about sex. He told me that many years ago...I never dreamed he could be right. Now let me see, what can I eat for dinner tonight?

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
I'm 66 and have been self employed my entire career. I just turned 66 this month and consider myself retired. I still have my office and some rental property I own, so I guess it's not a full retirement, but I enjoy what I do. I don't chase real estate sales any more, although if one falls in my lap I will write it up.

My mother passed this past year at 91, a good bit of my time was spent helping her. Her passing freed up a lot of my time. I was recently asked to be an occasional driver for a family friend who has a new medical situation that keeps him from driving. He's 76, and it makes me feel useful to help him out and give him a sense of independence.

A friend once told me the mark of being older is when you spend more time thinking about food than you do about sex. He told me that many years ago...I never dreamed he could be right. Now let me see, what can I eat for dinner tonight?
I'm there as well...glad you were able to spend a lot of time with your mother. I wish I could have...

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Retirement means...you have to watch CFB on television -- throw me in the briar patch again! It also means that I get to walk down the beach and enjoy this incredible world, teach my grand children how to do a lot of things that they've not thought of to this point, and have good conversations on Tidefans.
I'm at Anna Maria Island with my wife -- visiting her twin sister. Pray for me...I'm outnumbered.

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.
I'm 71 and been retired five years. My wife retired about a year after me. For me the best thing was just no stress of a job anymore. Spending time with family and my granddaughter has been great. Some of our plans have been put on hold because my wife's cancer reoccured and has spread to some of her bones. She has good days and some not so good, so we live life everyday one day at a time. All in all I've really enjoyed retirement and living a good happy life!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.