Retirement

alabama mike1

All-American
Jul 12, 2013
Ohio
I am 58 years old and this is my 34th year in education. If I could buy my 4 out of state years, $169,00, I would have retired 4 years ago but onward I go for at least 4 more years to reach full retirement in Ohio. As a high school principal, I am getting too old to deal with stupid every day. LOL Seriously, I love my job and the kids.

Last edited:

tidehawk

HS Moderator
Staff member
Feb 9, 2001
Wetumpka, AL
I retired as a middle school principal after 27 years in public education. I thought, "I am going to do something completely different." Tried sales - hated it. Stayed home for a couple of months - hated it. Bored out of my mind. Had an opportunity to go to a private school going back into the classroom. I absolutely love it. I think this was God's way of saying, "I am not finished with you yet."

Bubbaloo

1st Team
Dec 8, 2015
Retired just short of 62 in July of 15. Best decision I ever made ! Just wish I had some of those 6 or 7 days a week 50 to 52 weeks a year with 50 hour plus work weeks back ! I am now enjoying the friends I have still living, getting to know my wife and kids again while enjoying the grandkids. I am also keeping and unknown quantity of Drs and staff, testing facilities, hospitals, and drug companies financially stable o_O . Loving life now and realizing that work, money and the sense of accomplishment/status doesn't add up to the joy of personal relationships. Hey, it doesn't get much better than what I've got now but a few more national championships and a few less times beating my ottoman over a loss or a missed tackle would be NICE ! ROLL TIDE ROLL

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Retired just short of 62 in July of 15. Best decision I ever made ! Just wish I had some of those 6 or 7 days a week 50 to 52 weeks a year with 50 hour plus work weeks back ! I am now enjoying the friends I have still living, getting to know my wife and kids again while enjoying the grandkids. I am also keeping and unknown quantity of Drs and staff, testing facilities, hospitals, and drug companies financially stable o_O . Loving life now and realizing that work, money and the sense of accomplishment/status doesn't add up to the joy of personal relationships. Hey, it doesn't get much better than what I've got now but a few more national championships and a few less times beating my ottoman over a loss or a missed tackle would be NICE ! ROLL TIDE ROLL
We go to church with a couple that the wife is walking away from a $130,000/year job (at the age of 48) because of the price tag the $130,000 per year job comes with. She's taking a job for roughly half the pay, but doesn't have to stay past 5:30 pm, doesn't have to work weekends, doesn't have to travel from one regional office to another and deal with a ton of stress.

MDBSnare

All-SEC
Nov 5, 2007
I'm 53 and retired from being a college Professor a year ago after 20 years of teaching. My PhD is in finance and I was growing weary of dealing with unmotivated, entitled little snowflakes. The way I taught my courses was about 50% the rigor I had as an undergrad. And the status and money isn't all it's cracked up to be. Sometimes more "stuff" just crowds out the good, simple things in life; all the "stuff" can also bring more problems. Just my $.02 worth.

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
You don't need to work, you've got us ;)
click click click!!!! :D

The only time in my life that I really felt like I was working was in college 30 years ago when I worked in a product distribution business loading trucks literally 16-18 hours / day 7 days a week for 3 months during the summers and during Christmas break. 95% of it was outdoors, none of it was air conditioned. Made 5 cents above min wage and double-time OT. I was in the best shape of my life. Maybe I should do that this summer to get in shape ;) (I would probably have to be carried out in a casket after 1 hour)

Toddrn

All-American
Nov 29, 2006
Woodstock, Ga
My wife and I are the same age 59 and both nurses. Plan to go part-time at 62 and retire at 65. Would go out at 62 and take the hit on pension and SS if we could keep our health insurance. I have had a job of some kind since I was 13 and my wife 15. We are ready to retire, especially with the way healthcare is going in the hospital.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
I'm 53 and retired from being a college Professor a year ago after 20 years of teaching. My PhD is in finance and I was growing weary of dealing with unmotivated, entitled little snowflakes. The way I taught my courses was about 50% the rigor I had as an undergrad. And the status and money isn't all it's cracked up to be. Sometimes more "stuff" just crowds out the good, simple things in life; all the "stuff" can also bring more problems. Just my $.02 worth.
Glad you can get out...several years ago a friend of mine was a prof at CU. He had taught the same basic courses for years -- 3 per semester. Had all the lectures down pat...gave only multiple choice tests. He played golf just about every decent weather day. He had been retired for a year and none of us knew it...Of course, we all have our minister jokes about how we only work for an hour on Sunday...Good professors are like good ministers/leaders -- they stimulate our thinking, hold our hand when we need it -- and work themselves to death when no one is looking.
I hear you on the snowflakes...I could see it at church and also when I did some adjunct teaching. I'm trying real hard not to be pessimistic...

TexasBama

TideFans Legend
Jan 15, 2000
Houston, Texas USA
I was laid off at age 59 a little over 3 years ago. I’ve kept my engineering license for 30 years, and at the time decided I would try and do consulting and look for a job at the same time. After a few months, I decided this is like pushing a rope, so I did like Pedro Cerrano in “Major League” and decided to do it myself. 2-1/2 years later I’m to the point where all the work I get is from existing clients or referrals. If I pick up one or two more steady clients I’ll be as busy as I want to be. And the business I’m in (water related engineering) is fairly recession proof. It’s fun, and as long as I can drive I’ll be doing this.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.