Roster Management for 24-25

irvingtontide

3rd Team
Sep 5, 2019
FWIW, hardly anything ever "breaks" on FB. Most stuff I see on FB is news that is 3 or 4 days old from places like Twitter or Tidefans.
I think it depends on your feed. I’ve caught a few commits on FB before anyone has posted here about them.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
I keep going back and forth on whether Sears back is better for us or not.

If he’s back, there is tremendous pressure on him that just wasn’t there last year. And, it’s 40 minutes that goes to others if he’s gone. Which can go far to help promote team chemistry. He played last year as if he was on a mission. Not sure he can replicate or improve on that. It feels like he should go

But he is one hell of a player. I’m torn

Reactions: TIDE-HSV and Con

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL

If he’s back, there is tremendous pressure on him that just wasn’t there last year. And, it’s 40 minutes that goes to others if he’s gone. Which can go far to help promote team chemistry. He played last year as if he was on a mission. Not sure he can replicate or improve on that. It feels like he should go

I wonder how much more he has to show the NBA that they don't already know/see?

I am concerned about there being enough minutes to go around whether he comes back or not. I'm drawing a blank on that acronym they used last year that they got from softball, but that mentality will be crucial to the team's success next year.

Mudita, was that it?

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I hope Sears returns because I think he's a leader. It's going to be hard to have older guys on teams more and more. If Sears is back we have a guy who's been there and done that and can get in the face of a younger player.

The way I look at it, it's CNO's job to manage the minutes but having a guy who scored 20 a game last year is never a bad thing unless he was a cancer, which is not the case with Sears.

Bama9001

1st Team
Sep 26, 2017
It seems like Sears would have a much stronger negotiating position this year. Next year he doesn't have the option of just heading back to college. That may be a factor working against a return.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

I see your point, especially as it relates to the new, dynamic players we've signed.

If Sears returns, I think CNO must tell him his minutes will go down. Think he played about 38 a game last year, IIRC.

I see that being more like 30 a game this year.

Reactions: CrimsonBloodn62

Coach D

3rd Team
Apr 27, 2023
It’s absolutely a great thing if Sears returns. College basketball has shown that better teams most of the time are the older teams. Especially at guard at tournament time. We don’t know if Holloway will be able to shoot or how the freshman will do. Sears is a proven commodity and a good leader. No question is fantastic if he would return.

BhamToTexas

All-SEC
Dec 25, 2020
I agree it is a good thing if he returns. However I think that raises the expectations. The final four as a floor and expectations of a championship.

If we don’t accomplish those goals we may look back and wish the younger guys got the minutes.

I vote for winning it all!

CrimsonTitles

1st Team
Mar 30, 2015
It's absolutely good and necessary if you want to win it all this year that Sears returns. You have a true freshman point guard coming in and a former 5 star transfer guard from Auburn that struggled greatly last year.
Yeah, ideally Holloway would sit back and develop this year. He has a lot of potential, but he's not ready yet.

Reactions: BamaHoopsBoi

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
It’s absolutely a great thing if Sears returns. College basketball has shown that better teams most of the time are the older teams. Especially at guard at tournament time. We don’t know if Holloway will be able to shoot or how the freshman will do. Sears is a proven commodity and a good leader. No question is fantastic if he would return.
Agreed and I absolutely want Mark to return. It will give us a better chance of winning the NC. I think minutes will be reduced a little due to the overall quality and depth of this roster. I think all 13 will get minutes and the ones that are on for that game will get more minutes than others not having a good game. With the way rosters change from season to season if some decide to leave due to lack of minutes it will be OK.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I agree it is a good thing if he returns. However I think that raises the expectations. The final four as a floor and expectations of a championship.

If we don’t accomplish those goals we may look back and wish the younger guys got the minutes.

I vote for winning it all!
I think the men's game is now "You win with a bunch of 1 and dones."

It seems this will be CNO's MO too. So if Sears returning gives us a better chance next year, then it's the best thing.

The next year, we'll just reload again thru recruiting and the portal. Rinse and repeat.

Reactions: CrimsonEyeshade

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
I see no downside period if Sears returns. For Bama that is. I can't see him getting a better contract in the NBA in next years draft than this years though. I don't watch the NBA so I am hoping to see him in crimson next years.
Love Sears. My concern is more about his mentality. He played last year like it was his Swan Song. A going away present. No intention of returning.

Not sure how you top it.

Reactions: MOAN and Tidetwin

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014
Yep the expectation is to compete to make it to the Final Four next season. Realistically every team wants to compete for that but this is the first season we can legitimately say we have that expectation.

Here's hoping both Jarin and Mark comes back. Would argue we need Jarin more because of depth... but both would solidify this team as elite.

Bpilktree

1st Team
Jan 7, 2019
If Sears comes back the expectations will be huge but you have to remember getting to final four is much different then in football. In the last 5 years there has been 19 different schools to reach the final 4. UConn is only team to be in final 4 more then once in last 5 years.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
If Sears comes back the expectations will be huge but you have to remember getting to final four is much different then in football. In the last 5 years there has been 19 different schools to reach the final 4. UConn is only team to be in final 4 more then once in last 5 years.
This is very true. Alot of that is we are talking about a field of 68 vs. a field in the CFP of 4 up till now.

But you still need some breaks. We got ours last year with our bracket that was very favorable to us.

That's a part of that and so is hitting a hot streak at the right time; much more than how it is in football.

But, one thing is for sure. We've never had a roster as talented as we'll have next year. Combine that with the coaching an the sky is the limit.

Jun 29, 2023
Where the land meets the sky
I am extremely happy with the talent we have got for next year, but I won't have any expectations until I see 1. Who will be the leader on the court, 2. When 5 players play as a team. So, around December and the start of conference play.

Latest threads