Scout's recruiting rankings?

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame

I try really hard not to be in the tin foil hat crowd, but seriously, what gives with Scout's rankings? We are usually ranked lower in scouts than anybody else's, but I cannot begin to fathom how they justify this year's rankings. I know recruiting rankings by these sites are really meaningless, because we have probably the best evaluator of talent in CFB, but how can you be considered credible with this ranking system. BY THEIR OWN CRITERIA - they have us having 11 of THEIR top 100 players in the country, and (5) 5 star players. At the very least, you'd have to think we should be ranked in the top 3.

We are ranked #1 by 24/7 and Rivals, and #2 by ESPN (2nd to Florida which scout has ranked #7, BTW).

JeffAtlanta

All-American
Aug 21, 2007
Atlanta, GA (Buckhead)
what gives with Scout's rankings?
5 Star = 200 points
4 Star = 120 points
3 Star = 40 points
2 Star = 20 points

The No. 1 player at a position is worth 100 points, counting down to the last ranked player at his position to 0. The position rankings are kind of screwy because it depends on the number of players Scout evaluated at that position.

The main thing that affects Alabama's ranking is
(1) Less than 25 current commits
(2) Leon Brown (4*) & Brandon Hill (3*) are JUCO and Prep School which are valued less.
(3) There are no bonus points for a player being in the top 100

Last edited:

BamaFanatJSU

1st Team
Apr 24, 2008
Rainbow City, AL
5 Star = 200 points
4 Star = 120 points
3 Star = 40 points
2 Star = 20 points

The No. 1 player at a position is worth 100 points, counting down to the last ranked player at his position to 0.

The position rankings are kind of screwy.

The main thing that affects Alabama's ranking is
(1) Less than 25 current commits
(2) Leon Brown (4*) & Brandon Hill (3*) are JUCO and Prep School respectively. JC & Prep School are valued less.
(3) There are no bonus points for a player being in the top 100
Solid explanation. I agree it looks screwy, but it makes far more sense than I would have originally given Scout credit for.

skrayper77

All-American
Sep 4, 2003
Reuben Foster is not yet on our total ranking, though they have him on the team page.

That's why all the other sites have us at 23 recruits, and Scout at 22.

His additional 300 points would move us to #5

257WBY

Suspended
Aug 20, 2011
I don't buy the Michigan ranking. Most of their kids are from the north and the talent level up there is just not the same.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Most services devalue JUCO players, and it is crazy given their impact on top teams every year. Players like Carpenter, Cody, Williams and Newton, all JUCOs, were critical pieces on the last 4 national championship teams. Without them, it is very possible that NONE of those teams win the BCSCG.

They may be less valuable to teams that are rebuilding, but they are critical to teams that are on the cusp and need a player to fill an immediate need.

bamapuppy

1st Team
Mar 28, 2008
Hillsborough, NC
Most services devalue JUCO players, and it is crazy given their impact on top teams every year. Players like Carpenter, Cody, Williams and Newton, all JUCOs, were critical pieces on the last 4 national championship teams. Without them, it is very possible that NONE of those teams win the BCSCG.

They may be less valuable to teams that are rebuilding, but they are critical to teams that are on the cusp and need a player to fill an immediate need.
I agree, and let's be honest. The JUCO players are usually more developed when they arrive on campus. Two more years of developement makes a huge difference.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

Saban has never been into large numbers of JUCOs, but, when he picks one, they usually make a real impact. With a lot of other coaches, it's really desperation. The funny thing is, looking at the ND sites, they're convinced that, along with grayshirting, oversigning, attrition, antler dust, having huge numbers of JUCOs. A couple of Bama posters tried to point out that we have only two, but that curtain of ignorance is impenetrable...

imaloyalone

Super Moderator
Jan 9, 2005
Northport, AL

I try really hard not to be in the tin foil hat crowd, but seriously, what gives with Scout's rankings? We are usually ranked lower in scouts than anybody else's, but I cannot begin to fathom how they justify this year's rankings. I know recruiting rankings by these sites are really meaningless, because we have probably the best evaluator of talent in CFB, but how can you be considered credible with this ranking system. BY THEIR OWN CRITERIA - they have us having 11 of THEIR top 100 players in the country, and (5) 5 star players. At the very least, you'd have to think we should be ranked in the top 3.

We are ranked #1 by 24/7 and Rivals, and #2 by ESPN (2nd to Florida which scout has ranked #7, BTW).
Idiots if you ask me... when your ranking system is so different from everyone else, you should make some modifications. I'm not really interested in rankings, but I think Scout would have probably voted UA as the 5th best team in America this year at the end of the season if they'd had a vote.

GP for Bama

All-American
Feb 3, 2011
I suspect a lot of rankings for these services is marketing. Scout probably has a lot of subscribers in Michigan, Ohio and Indiana.

tide96

All-SEC
Oct 4, 2005
There ranking are heavily biased on the number of recruits.

There is something to be said about having warm bodies around, but their ranking seem to take that to the extreme.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.