Smoked Bell Peppers

Dartigan

All-SEC
Sep 20, 2004
Tuscaloosa
I just thought of smoking bell peppers around a Boston Butt. If I can find anyone who wants to eat, I wouldn't mind smoking a few butts for Saturday's game.

I wonder how smoked bell peppers would taste. I was thinking I could throw some red, yellow and orange on the smoker to see how the sweet and smoky taste would compliment the beef on a sandwich. I figure smoking them for an hour would work, but I've never heard of anyone smoking them so I'm not sure.

Any ideas?

bayoutider

Administrator Emeritus & Chef-in-Chief
Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com
I have thown bell peppers on the gill, blistered the skin off then peeled them, removed the seeds and cut them into strips. Put them back on the grill for a few more minutes to add some grill marks and enjoy. I like the red and yellow the best. They seem to be a little sweeter than the green which some people find slightly bitter compaired to the others. They are great on a sandwich or just eaten as a grilled vegetable.

What time will they be ready? :D

usmgh

BamaNation Citizen
Jul 15, 2005
Grilled or Roasted Red Bell Peppers...

are one of my favorite things in the world. I am willing to try them with just about anything. Let me know how they turn out if you decide to smoke them.

I would make this suggestion, throw some of them in there when you start smoking, save some and throw them in there later. I just have a feeling if the peppers are in there as long as the butt, they are going to have a strong smoky taste, to the point where the taste of the pepper in over powered. If you smoke some of them the whole time, and some of them part of the time, you will know which is the best way, for the next go around.

RTR!

bayoutider

Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com
USMGH, good idea about the cooking time. If you leave the peppers in as long as a roast the peppers might be cooked down to a mush. It doesn't take long to roast a pepper.

Dartigan

All-SEC
Sep 20, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Good point! I still haven't smoked them yet. Plans of my buddies coming to the game/getting tix keep falling through.

I think the Florida game will be a good time to throw down!

bayoutider

Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com
Dartigan said:
Good point! I still haven't smoked them yet. Plans of my buddies coming to the game/getting tix keep falling through.

I think the Florida game will be a good time to throw down!
Try this, it's easy.

Ingredients:

1 pork roast, cut of your choice
1 bunch green onions
1 head of garlic peeled
6 hot green peppers - hungarian hot, cowhorn, cayenne, etc.
1 medium jar yellow mustard
cajun seasoning mix

Directions:

Use a sharp knife to make slits in the roast. Make them about 2-2 1/2 inches deep. Use your finger to open the hole and in each slit put half a clove of garlic cut lengthwise, a piece of pepper and a piece of onion. Cut them off even with the top of the roast. Continue around the roast till you have a dozen or so stuffed slits.

Next smear the mustard all over the roast then rub in the cajun seasonings.

Cook on your smoker or grill as you normally would. Get ready for some flavor that will knock your socks off. Works with beef roast as well.

Dartigan

All-SEC
Sep 20, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Thanks Bayou, looks good!

I bet that'd be awesome using a pork tenderloin too. That'd be something you could start cooking when you get home from work one day if you don't have all day to smoke something.

bayoutider

Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com
Dartigan said:
Thanks Bayou, looks good!

I bet that'd be awesome using a pork tenderloin too. That'd be something you could start cooking when you get home from work one day if you don't have all day to smoke something.
That recipe is courtesy of Chef Paul Prudhomme. It can be pot roasted on the stovetop or in the oven also and makes a fantastic gravy.

Latest threads