BREAKING Tommy Rees hired as OC

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
And as good as UGA was they could have lost two games and should have lost the game that got them in and won them the championship. Would we, UGA fans and the talking heads be heaping praise on Kirby and the Dawgs about how they go about playing football? I like the philosophical shift back to this style but it does not insure the ultimate success.
Fixing/Improving TWO things will get us back into championship gear:

* Winning the LOS of scrimmage more than we have the last two years, and getting the OL back to run blocking more may very well be what does that. We've lost our physicality at the LOS and games are won and lost there.

* Improving the field discipline and tackling of the defense

Granted, there are more things that we could improve upon from last season, but I think if we JUSt improve these two we're back in the championship run business.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
And as good as UGA was they could have lost two games and should have lost the game that got them in and won them the championship. Would we, UGA fans and the talking heads be heaping praise on Kirby and the Dawgs about how they go about playing football? I like the philosophical shift back to this style but it does not insure the ultimate success.
It’s the familiar quote of “Winning cover a multitude of sins”. Seems more and more these days that it is more about perception than reality. College football has become short attention span theater. Drop the game to Mizzou and the tOSU kicker doesn’t throw up all over his shoes on the FG, the narrative is completely different.

Reactions: TiderJack

tidefan39817

All-American
Jan 17, 2006
Bainbridge, Georgia

* Winning the LOS of scrimmage more than we have the last two years, and getting the OL back to run blocking more may very well be what does that. We've lost our physicality at the LOS and games are won and lost there.

Granted, there are more things that we could improve upon from last season, but I think if we JUSt improve these two we're back in the championship run business.
heck, just cut the number of penalties. that alone would have won the LSU and UcheaT game. Texas should not have been close and the A&M game should have never came down to the last play.

kenbama

BamaNation Citizen
Aug 15, 2008

When viewing video clips of defense reps, I have noticed that the training is "do the rep then pretend to tackle by grabbing the chest or shoulders". No attempts or reps are being doe to tackle waist or lower. This is the tackle process shown during the games- grab high.

With a tougher mindset, hopefully we won’t hear any more about “anxiety” from the players; and won’t be humiliated by Kelly when he arrogantly goes for two and the win like it’s no sweat because Alabama is there for the taking. He spit in the the Tide’s face.
I agree with your post overall but disagree on Kelly’s call. Just then opposite, I think. He didn’t expect to be in a position to win the game and figured it was worth the gamble to go for it all right there.

There is a theory, that I first heard after we squeaked by Auburn in 2021, that if you’re the team who goes second you should go ahead and go for 2 because you’re going to be forced to the next round. So, you might as well use your best 2-point play right then and there to maximize your advantage.

Last edited:

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
It’s the familiar quote of “Winning cover a multitude of sins”. Seems more and more these days that it is more about perception than reality. College football has become short attention span theater. Drop the game to Mizzou and the tOSU kicker doesn’t throw up all over his shoes on the FG, the narrative is completely different.
Exactly. UGA's season was very close to being our season.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
I like 1st and 10 the best...over and over and over until TD!

Seriously, there's no rule that states you have to get into 3rd down situation at all. I genuinely don't think BOB understood this because he's such an NFL-minded person.
I loved that in 2020 our offense hardly seemed to have many third downs. Even when we did, we usually picked them up. That offense was truly a thing of beauty.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
When viewing video clips of defense reps, I have noticed that the training is "do the rep then pretend to tackle by grabbing the chest or shoulders". No attempts or reps are being doe to tackle waist or lower. This is the tackle process shown during the games- grab high.
We've been doing that ever since Saban got here. He also implemented "thud" tackling in parts of practices to keep injuries down. I think it has less to do with the physical than it does with the mental. We've lost something in attitude and aggressiveness and it has directly impacted the physical aspects of the game.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Two things:

First: That's the traditional technique of tackling unless something has changed I'm not aware of. In real live tackling your target is not on the hips or legs but the chest. Sure, many tackles are made by wrapping up the hips/legs but that's not what a tackler is aiming for. but it ends up what he's holding on to.

Second: There is value in learning the right technique in slow/half speed motion. I play golf and one lesson I've learned after 30 years of playing is you can't learn a new motion in full speed. Muscle memory just takes over and you may think what you're doing is different but it's the same old/natural movement you already have. Golf instructors have even said you have to exaggerate a new move to start feeling a difference in it and the old move. So it has to start off slowly, then you do it half speed and then when the new movement starts to be engrained you do it full speed.

Reactions: DrJJoyner

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
The 2020 team converted 58.9% of 3rd downs. The highest rate in at least 15 years.

And they did it playing 11 SEC games and two playoff games.
Yes, I remember some people talking about that year's champion was going to have an asterisk. After the schedule we played, I thought the asterisk could mean that it was much more difficult than normal instead of being easier. We weren't allowed to play just six games against middling opponents. Eleven SEC games and two top-four opponents provided a very challenging schedule, and that team made it look easy.

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama
I think the plays were more "can't fail" due to the talent and execution than the design, but the design also kept defenses off balance on almost every play.
Against OSU it was all 3. Sark drew up several plays for Devonta that were well designed.

1st TD - Smitty lines up on the line, fakes right, then goes left for an easy TD. That's all play design and execution.

2nd TD - Same sort of plan - move Smitty around and then outflank the defense before the ball is even snapped. Easy TD.

3rd TD - Smitty is lined up in the slot and matched up against a LB. He runs a go route while the other WRs clear out any help. Easy TD.

Each play is designed for Smitty and Mac knows where's he's going before the ball is snapped. Well designed played executed well.

Yes, I remember some people talking about that year's champion was going to have an asterisk.
It well could have had things played out differently. With Alabama playing a 10--game SEC schedule, the SEC Championship, and then Notre Dame and OSU if anything, as you say, it's a super season.

But had Ohio State wound up winning it all, despite playing only FIVE regular season games, back-dooring its way into the Big Ten Championship Game despite being ineligible before a waiver was issued, and then gotten a fluke win over Alabama in the title game, we might well look askance at that.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Smitty's talent cannot be discounted, but good lord watching the play designs in those clips and seeing what we've done the last two years under BOB is embarrassing, regardless of talent. SMH

Against OSU it was all 3. Sark drew up several plays for Devonta that were well designed.

1st TD - Smitty lines up on the line, fakes right, then goes left for an easy TD. That's all play design and execution.

2nd TD - Same sort of plan - move Smitty around and then outflank the defense before the ball is even snapped. Easy TD.

3rd TD - Smitty is lined up in the slot and matched up against a LB. He runs a go route while the other WRs clear out any help. Easy TD.

Each play is designed for Smitty and Mac knows where's he's going before the ball is snapped. Well designed played executed well.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
Smitty's talent cannot be discounted, but good lord watching the play designs in those clips and seeing what we've done the last two years under BOB is embarrassing, regardless of talent. SMH

agreed - the play design made it pretty easy to maximize the talent that was out there. Definitely put all the guys in the best possible position to be successful. Had BOB done any of that, I'd bet we wouldn't be talking about a drop off in production from the WR corps.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL

I will never in my life forget that 3rd TD.

I mean to put Tug Borland in Man Coverage vs the GOAT NCAA WR???!!

bold.jpg

I was dying when it happened. I still can't believe it.

JohnD

1st Team
Dec 22, 2003

30% design, 70% execution. Smitty is extremely hard to cover even at the pro level.

• Thank You
Reactions: oskie

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.

BoB's inner soundtrack: "Wait, you're allowed to do the unexpected?" "You're telling me that you're allowed to use scheming to get the Heisman Trophy winner lined up on a linebacker?
What is this strange magic you speak of?"

Sark was a dadgum genius. Miss that guy.

Reactions: Ole Man Dan

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.