Question: Who was the best team Alabama ever tied with?

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
1993 Tenn is about the only tie I can really remember tbh.

They were a really good team that year.

They were 9-1-1 and ranked #6 at the end of the reg season with their only loss to Fla.

That Tie FELT like a Win for us though and a loss for Tenn.

It was 17-9 late in the game and we had to drive 80+ yards for the TD with Barker making big throws to Palmer and Lee and then QB Diving for the TD and then Palmer runs the 2-Point Conv to stun the Hillbillies who thought they had ended our Unbeaten streak.

It was Insanity that for the time being potentially kept us in the NC Hunt.

I'm sure we have tied a better team but it was probably a long time ago.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

They were 9-1-1 and ranked #6 at the end of the reg season with their only loss to Fla.

It was 17-9 late in the game and we had to drive 80+ yards for the TD with Barker making big throws to Palmer and Lee and then QB Diving for the TD and then Palmer runs the 2-Point Conv to stun the Hillbillies who thought they had ended our Unbeaten streak.

Agree 100% that the tied was like a win that day.

Only time I ever remember witnessing a tie in person, but I can tell you that walking out of Legion Field that day it felt better than "kissing your sister" because we shouldn't have even come close to a tie.

BTW, when David Palmer lined up at QB in the two point conversion tie attempt everybody knew he'd run but UT was nowhere near able to stop him.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL

Great memories.

UT put up some big time fights in those days and we would rip their hearts out. 1994 was one of those games as well. 1993 was definitely a "win" for us.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
THE CANDIDATES
1949 Tennessee (won the 1951 national title)
1965 Tennessee (ended year at #17 and only one loss)
1967 Florida St (ended year at #15)
1970 Oklahoma (Bluebonnet Bowl - ended year at #20)
1981 Southern Miss (I don't take this seriously as yes they were 9-2-1 but didn't play anybody at all)
1985 LSU - this one was the nail in the coffin for our SEC title hopes
1993 Tennessee - ended year at #11 and QB was runner-up for Heisman

(I'm shocked to learn that Alabama only had four tie ballgames in my lifetime, three of which I vividly remember).

========================

For those who weren't there, let me explain what happened in the 1985 LSU game as it had a lot to do with shortening the leash on Ray Perkins.

Florida was ineligible for the SEC or national championship (and didn't even play on TV that year).
Here are your SEC standings on the morning of the game:

Alabama 3-1 (head-to-head loss to Tennessee)
LSU 3-1 (head-to-head loss to Florida)
Tennessee 2-1 (head-to-head loss to Florida, win over Alabama)

Here's who they had to left to play after that day (SEC only):
Alabama - 2-2 Auburn
LSU - 0-3 Miss St
Tennessee - 1-3 Ole Miss, 1-3-1 Vandy, 1-2 Kentucky

Alabama trailed, 14-7, when Mike Shula drove them down and caught a halfback pass in triple coverage thrown by (The Crook Who Lied About Us At Auburn's Behest). There were 83 seconds left in the game and Perkins called Alabama's last timeout after we scored to close the gap to one. Frank Broyles in his broadcasting booth even said that with a loss already in the books, a tie did Alabama NO GOOD, so he was sure we'd call a two-point play.

I want you to think about what Perkins did: called his last timeout and then KICKED THE POINT to tie the game. If that was his strategy, why use the timeout? LSU was going to have to pass to get into position for a field goal and maybe Perkins hoped we'd catch an INT...but wouldn't you then want your timeout? Tying with three timeouts left would have been acceptable, maybe even the right thing to do. But to use the last timeout to decide on your two-point play and then kick it was something I'd expect from Les Miles or Bill Curry.

LSU went down the field and Ron Lewis shanked a 24-yard chip shot so the game ended tied...which virtually eliminated both Alabama AND LSU from the SEC title chase. It was typical of Perkins's brain dead decision making and he's damned lucky he got away with just a tie after his defense choked.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.

Latest threads