Has Alabama ruined college football for fans of other teams?

OSUTideFan

All-American
Dec 17, 2019
Indiana
So Alabama gets the job done and Mississippi State can't and they want to blame Alabama? That is not how this works.

Hey B1GTIde, let me ask you something.....has Michigan fans ever accused Ohio State of ruining college football for them?
I’m not B1GTide but I can chime in. Short answer: YES
Long answer: They have gotten sick and tired of having 9 to 10 win seasons but losing to OSU every year and settling for a bowl game at the end. As long as the Buckeyes are in the same conference as them, they aren’t making it to the playoffs. Some are demanding that UM goes the way of ND. How else does ND get ranked so highly every year? They pay a lot of weak teams to play against them. UM has the budget to do this too.

Reactions: B1GTide

CrimsonTheory

All-American
Mar 26, 2012
CrimsonBleedRed
I’m not B1GTide but I can chime in. Short answer: YES
Long answer: They have gotten sick and tired of having 9 to 10 win seasons but losing to OSU every year and settling for a bowl game at the end. As long as the Buckeyes are in the same conference as them, they aren’t making it to the playoffs. Some are demanding that UM goes the way of ND. How else does ND get ranked so highly every year? They pay a lot of weak teams to play against them. UM has the budget to do this too.
Interesting that Michigan is so beaten down that their only chance to "win" is to get out of the conference. I guess when you have only beaten your rival three times since 2000, you'd think any other option other than playing Ohio State is a good option.

Reactions: OSUTideFan

OSUTideFan

All-American
Dec 17, 2019
Indiana
Interesting that Michigan is so beaten down that their only chance to "win" is to get out of the conference. I guess when you have only beaten your rival three times since 2000, you'd think any other option other than playing Ohio State is a good option.
The UM fanbase even made a handy acronym for their funk: BPONE
It’s the “black pit of negative expectations” if I’m not mistaken :LOL:

• Haha
Reactions: CrimsonTheory

Mister Falcon

Oct 27, 2020
I enjoy our dominance and being the eternal favorite. I rarely even feel even a little anxiety before games any more. However, I must admit that the thought in the title has passed through my mind before. Then, I ran across the thread below on a MSU Bulldog board...

MSU
Nah. Maybe ruined for 50% of a decade. I would say Bama / Clemson ruined the last 5 years.

You guys have had a helluva run, definitely haven’t seen anything like it in my lifetime (33). But Saban can’t last forever. I doubt you’ll drop off to late 90s early 2000s level, but it won’t be the same. If it weren’t for fricken Pelini, we’d be giving you a game this year. Even though we played garbage teams, I honestly can’t believe we still have an offense after losing 5 NFL players on offense (including Chase).

We’ll get you guys next year!!! ;)

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Nah. Maybe ruined for 50% of a decade. I would say Bama / Clemson ruined the last 5 years.

You guys have had a helluva run, definitely haven’t seen anything like it in my lifetime (33). But Saban can’t last forever. I doubt you’ll drop off to late 90s early 2000s level, but it won’t be the same. If it weren’t for fricken Pelini, we’d be giving you a game this year. Even though we played garbage teams, I honestly can’t believe we still have an offense after losing 5 NFL players on offense (including Chase).

We’ll get you guys next year!!! ;)
Remember we lost a bunch also, including Ruggs and Jeudy at WR...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
“There should be a limit on how many 5* players you can have on your roster”.

:)
Of course the problem with that, if you read other boards during recruiting season (I do that, in addition to our immediate opponents), all of our players are really just three star players, who got bumped up to five stars because they signed with Bama... :)

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I enjoy our dominance and being the eternal favorite. I rarely even feel even a little anxiety before games any more. However, I must admit that the thought in the title has passed through my mind before. Then, I ran across the thread below on a MSU Bulldog board...

MSU
I have plenty of Bulldog friends. That happens when you spend 17 years in Lowndes County (which you have to drive through to get to Starkvegas from T-town and vice versa.

But 20 years ago, they were calling us overrated back when they beat us 4 out of 5. They were among the loudest saying "y'all just can't deal with the fact Bryant cheated and he's gone and you're never gonna be a big deal again."

Now having said that, Clay Travis has blogged in recent days about what we might call the "trickle up theory" evaluating how basically the success that Alabama, Ohio State, Clemson, and Oklahoma (and UGA as well) have had since the beginning of the CFP has perpetuated success. Those teams get the largest share of 5 stars and then 4 stars, etc. Recruiting rankings are MUCH MORE PRECISE than they've ever been. I'm old enough to recall when pretty much every year Notre Dame would haul in the best recruiting class......and then they'd have a couple of 8-3 seasons and lose to teams like Ole Miss and Missouri. However - while this upward mobility is GREAT if you're a fan of the five programs named, it will become perpetually boring to fans of every other team in the country. My fear is that we are on our way to becoming English soccer, more for the ill than for the good. When I lived in the UK in the 1970s, parity had teams very evenly matched so that the poorer teams had a just below even chance of competing with the richer ones. The creation of the Premiere League did two things: 1) turned England into a Final Four team almost every World Cup with some really great players - while drawing big money; 2) turned the English soccer season into a four-team roulette wheel where Manchester United, Chelsea, Arsenal, and Liverpool win 95% of all the competitions. It has also devalued cup competitions similar to how our once elite New Year's Day bowl games have been diluted to near meaningless.

One thing that recent years have done, however, is expose the ruse of the polls. The reality is that prior to 2014, only MAYBE AT MOST 20 teams in this entire country even had a chance at winning the championship. However, teams could celebrate bowl wins when there were 7-10 games, and they meant something for prestige to the school.

PREVIOUS CONTENDERS
Alabama, Auburn, LSU, Georgia, Florida, Tennessee, Ole Miss
Ohio St, Michigan, Michigan State, Notre Dame, Penn St
USC, UCLA
Oklahoma, Nebraska
Texas, Texas A/M, Arkansas, SMU

Ole Miss, of course, regressed largely due to their response to integration plus the three-way split of talent as USM got better in a small state. You could have the occasional sudden surprise - 1976 Pitt, 1984 BYU, 1991 Washington - that doesn't come from that small group, but that list right there sans Ole Miss is your list of contenders (and Florida was only theoretically a potential "could be" prior to the 1980s). Later, FSU and Miami would join the list but that right there is almost every single title winner from the advent of the AP poll in 1936 through 1986.

Let me put it this way: I turn off more games in the first half now than I ever did in previous years. On the flip side, every single SEC school was spitting on us and kicking us when we were down - so to hell with them.

But I do think it's bad long-term for the sport. My Oregon bud and I talk about this - and how grateful we are that we lived in the 70s, 80s, and 90s for CFB when the hard hits (lethal) and running game and strength meant so much. The sport is declining into flag football, and I believe 30 years from now (if not sooner) we won't even recognize the sport......and it may no longer command the $ on television that it has the last 30 years.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I haven’t read any comments about John Wooden or Gino ( UConn) ruining basketball during
their National Championship runs. Look at the success and interest of March Madness!!

Wooden's team was so crooked top to bottom that they pretty much need an asterisk.
Women's basketball is a joke of a sport to even mention in this.

But....

NASCAR fans WILL tell you Jimmie Johnson's winning the championship all those years helped speed the descent of auto racing from "next big sport" to "nobody watches us anymore"

The NFL has been reduced (almost) to "Patriots fans" and "everyone else" despite the NFL being a booming business. I'm exaggerating slightly there, and the departure of Brady to Tampa at least equalizes things, but it's been that way for most of the last 2 decades.

Baseball has ruined their regular seasons with the "let's make sure Boston or New York makes the play-in game for a ratings pop" scheduling.

My Dad - who actually lived through and experienced the 1950s Yankees dynasty - has said, "Baseball was boring. Unless you lived in NYC, your team wasn't going to the World Series." And that's true since there was AT LEAST ONE (and sometimes two) NYC team in the WS every single year 1949-1964 except 1959 (and that year the Dodgers had been in NYC but had moved).

In all honesty, I'm glad I got to experience free agency and a 15-year span of no team winning back-to-back World Series.

Btw - the interest in March Madness NOW is because there is no UCLA dominant team. What equalizes the sport is that the lesser teams (like Butler) have guys who spend 4 years together while Kentucky/UCLA/N Carolina have an almost entire team of "one and done" on their roster. Teamwork enables those lesser teams to compete with "teams that are only together for 30 games."

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Michigan isn't really comparable to Miss State. Iowa would be a more apt comparison.
And my research through the years shows Michigan is consistently one of the most overrated football teams in the country, year-in and year-out. Their big days - with a few exceptions - were long, long ago. They only rank first in victories because they've been playing so long.

Michigan has the all-time leading winning pct in FBS of .729, tied with Ohio State for number one.

We're third at .727 - but only because we've had to vacate wins and forfeit games - and we've played 55 fewer contests than Michigan, the equivalent (even in this day of expanded schedules) of four full seasons. Give us the on the field wins and we're first (.745). And it's not just national titles; Michigan historically chokes over and over and over again.

But you are correct that MSU = Iowa much easier than they ever would Michigan. Then again, MSU beat Michigan the only time they've ever played each other on the field.

Reactions: crimsonaudio

BigPoppa52

3rd Team
Oct 25, 2020
His "logic" is the dumbest thing I have ever read. If you are mediocre with 85 scholarships and everyone else also has 85 scholarships what the hell makes you think you will be any better with only 60?
Its not so much, I think, that he thinks the reduced numbers will help the bulldogs, but its that he thinks that its THE TALENT that should be redistributed equally. Bama gets 3 5-stars, then so should MSU. THATS where the fallacy in his logic lies.

FaninLA

2nd Team
Jul 9, 2019
Cantonment, FL
I personally don’t care what the final score of the game is as long as we win. That is the stat that everyone remembers. Wins equate to Championships. Also, I think that I enjoy watching a back and forth game more so than the 9-6 game in 2011 with LSU. Ultimately, just win! As a Bama lifelong Bama fan, I have always enjoyed watching our defense. Now I enjoy watching the offense as well.

Just win! Roll Tide!!!
would you happen to be from Grand Bay, AL?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.