Climate News & Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
Another article on the Amazon being changed-

I don't doubt that the increase in logging and cattle farming in Amazonia particularly during the Bolsonaro administration has increased exponentially. The Amazon is a lawless and practically ungovernable region. Reading these articles however, I always think about the wetlands and forested areas around Huntsville being filled and cut down for strip centers and housing. There are obviously no controls in place here at all.

Possibly a bigger problem in Brazil and Argentina is the eradication of the Pampas in the south of Brazil for soybean farming to feed China much like we did with our prairies in the early 1900's and are continuing. The scrub brushland and wetland areas south of the Amazon region in Mato Grosso state are now mostly being utilized for cattle farming.

One point I believe is important to appreciate is how massive the rainforest is that stretches for hundreds of miles into Venezuela, Ecuador, Columbia and on into Central America. Flying over the area of the Amazon delta and Venezuela it is difficult to describe.

TexasBama

TideFans Legend
Jan 15, 2000
Houston, Texas USA
John Christy, the anti-scientist here at UAH who the Trump administration quoted frequently as authority recanted some of his views this morning. I was tied up and didn't hear the whole report, but I'll watch for it and post...
There’s this

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Also, R410 and R32 are still around and are - surprise - flourinated hydrocarbons.
The fact remains that there has been enough progress made so that the ozone hole will be repaired by mid-century, 2060s at the latest. However, we now have to worry about CO2 and, worse, CH4...

• Thank You
Reactions: UAH

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Methane hydrates are the 800 pound gorilla
Yes, and people don't realize that the warming holds the seeds of the next ice age, nor that what we're living in is the "most recent interglacial." Warm the arctic enough and shut down the North Atlantic Current and welcome to the next ice age. There's a lot of evidence that it happens suddenly - like frozen mammoths with fresh vegetation in their mouths and stomachs...

• Wow
Reactions: UAH and JDCrimson

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
According to another article I read, this is a 77 acre pond 25 feet deep. That's a pretty good size lake. It's hard to imagine how the retaining wall got in this poor condition without being noticed.

Reactions: B1GTide

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
Why is he declaring a state of emergency for such a minor issue that will affect only a few people? They can choose to move on their own or choose not to drink the water. People are smart enough to regulate their own personal safety.

Corporations always have the best interest of the public ahead first. Give them time their capitalist ingenuity will solve the problem at the lowest cost in the least amount of time.

Btw, if you feel the need to evacuate and if you contribute to my campaign, we will send a crew in to rescue you and your belongings. Otherwise, you are on your own...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.