Politics: 2020 Dem POTUS candidate catch all discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
People don't seem to get this but the reason we have a third of the country max lording over us all is because the alternative does nothing to inspire a broad appeal progressive movement.
The 'broad appeal' of the 'progressive movement' (whatever the hell that is) doesn't exist. If it did, you'd run on it and win.

Majority of Americans want the big things that Sanders and Warren champion but the mainline democrats will not commit to it.
If this is true, they should run together and win in a mammoth landslide.

Anyone here actually think that would happen?

This is the difference between the GOP and DNP. When the GOP gets power they ram through their pet projects without hoping for c o n s e n s u s.
Yeah, I remember when they did that with Obamacare.......

DNP can't even ram things the majority wants down the minority's throat when they get power.
They did it with Obamacare my friend. Were you not paying attention?

So why show up for them on election day when the candidates that seem most likely to fight for popular agendas aren't there?
Because these popular agendas are myths.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
ACA/Obamacare was a Heritage Foundation white paper given life. It was not a progressive solution to health.

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
Here’s a link to Pete Buttigieg’s Fox Town Hall. It’s not the entire event, but there is about thirty five minutes worth in two different videos buried in the article.

The guy is smooth as glass and does not dodge any questions. He’s funny, confident, looks to me like the future of the Democratic Party. He’s a Harvard graduate, Rhodes scholar, speaks eight languages, and served in Afghanistan. He has more executive and military experience than Trump. He received 80% of the vote to get re-elected mayor of South Bend after announcing he is gay. He is going to make some people pay attention. I can’t wait to see Mayor Pete in the debates.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/pete-buttigieg-fox-news-town-hall-donald-trump

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
Here’s a link to Pete Buttigieg’s Fox Town Hall. It’s not the entire event, but there is about thirty five minutes worth in two different videos buried in the article.

The guy is smooth as glass and does not dodge any questions. He’s funny, confident, looks to me like the future of the Democratic Party. He’s a Harvard graduate, Rhodes scholar, speaks eight languages, and served in Afghanistan. He has more executive and military experience than Trump. He received 80% of the vote to get re-elected mayor of South Bend after announcing he is gay. He is going to make some people pay attention. I can’t wait to see Mayor Pete in the debates.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/pete-buttigieg-fox-news-town-hall-donald-trump
To me, the most impressive thing about this town hall is that Fox picked the audience members, and Pete still got a standing ovation at the end.

https://twitter.com/abc/status/1130519639514128384

https://twitter.com/abc/status/1130552693364285441

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Sanders performing quite poorly in South Carolina.

https://twitter.com/abc/status/1130500838277951488

https://www.google.com/amp/s/thehil...580-biden-sanders-tied-atop-new-iowa-poll?amp

This is probably equally alarming for the Bernie faithful not totally drunk on the Kool Aid. Bernie’s only path to victory is to beat Liz bad enough to drop out after Super Tuesday while keeping pace with Biden, Mayor Pete, and Kamala. I personally think he is DOA but this time there are far more candidates to put him back to reflect the minority he represents.

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
https://www.google.com/amp/s/thehil...580-biden-sanders-tied-atop-new-iowa-poll?amp

This is probably equally alarming for the Bernie faithful not totally drunk on the Kool Aid. Bernie’s only path to victory is to beat Liz bad enough to drop out after Super Tuesday while keeping pace with Biden, Mayor Pete, and Kamala. I personally think he is DOA but this time there are far more candidates to put him back to reflect the minority he represents.
Yup.

Frankly, I think this race is pretty much in stasis right now. We won't see any major changes until after the first debates, so I haven't been paying much attention to the polls. Still, that's a pretty bad showing for the Bernie-or-burn-it-down folks.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
i think buttigieg nails it on the abortion question

link

Buttigieg was asked about laws passed recently to ban or restrict abortion in states such as Alabama. He said he believes the right to have an abortion is “an American freedom” and that the government shouldn’t have a role in limiting it.

“I think the dialogue has gotten so caught up on where you draw the line that we’ve gotten away from the fundamental question of who gets to draw the line,” he said. “And I trust women to draw the line.”

Asked whether his position extends to the third trimester of pregnancy, Buttigieg said those late-term abortions make up a small percentage of abortions performed and asked the audience to put themselves in that woman’s shoes.

Any woman making that decision has likely been expecting to carry the baby to term, he said, and received “the most devasting medical news in their lifetime”, forcing them to make “an impossible, unthinkable choice”.

“And the bottom line is as horrible as that choice is, that woman, that family may seek spiritual guidance, they may seek medical guidance,” he said. “But that decision’s not going to be made any better medically or morally, because the government is dictating how that decision should be made.”

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Wouldn't read too much into the South Carolina performance for Sanders.

Last edited by a moderator:

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Wouldn't read too much into the South Carolina performance for Sanders.
Except when you factor in that South Carolina is much aligned politically with states like Florida, North Carolina, and Georgia with high delegate counts that really do matter. Bernie can win all the small podink states in NE and Lower MW he wants but if he doesn’t crack the South and Mid Atlantic he doesn’t stand a chance in hell of winning the nomination.

Last edited by a moderator:

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I thought that 2016's electoral map shows that the MW is a bigger key than the South at this juncture. Keeping Virginia is the key in South for Bernie if he gets to the general election.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I thought that 2016's electoral map shows that the MW is a bigger key than the South at this juncture. Keeping Virginia is the key in South for Bernie if he gets to the general election.
Electoral Votes... they are more valuable, but not as much for primary votes. Florida itself has 219 delegates up for grabs, Illinois is the biggest Midwest delegate count with 155 and I can tell you for a fact that Bernie wont get the majority of those votes. You look at Ohio with 135 and think the MW matters more, but then you start looking at Iowa, Nebraska, Colorado with under 70. Compare that to Texas and Georgia and you see how irrelevant they can become.

Bernie's only saving grace is that California is an early primary this year, but again the South and Mid Atlantic have far more votes than that Western USA. There is a reason to why everyone flocks South for the majority of the primary season.

https://www.uspresidentialelectionnews.com/2020-presidential-primary-schedule-calendar/

Bernie's path to victory is to make Liz quit by a dominant showing in the MW, and to do very well in the South. Otherwise Texas, Florida, and Georgia is going to kill him like they did last time.

Last edited:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Electoral Votes... they are more valuable, but not as much for primary votes. Florida itself has 219 delegates up for grabs, Illinois is the biggest Midwest delegate count with 155 and I can tell you for a fact that Bernie wont get the majority of those votes. You look at Ohio with 135 and think the MW matters more, but then you start looking at Iowa, Nebraska, Colorado with under 70. Compare that to Texas and Georgia and you see how irrelevant they can become.

Bernie's only saving grace is that California is an early primary this year, but again the South and Mid Atlantic have far more votes than that Western USA. There is a reason to why everyone flocks South for the majority of the primary season.
I think what sticks in everyone's mind is the fact that razor thin margins in Michigan, Wisconsin and Pennsylvania, which has one foot in the mid-Atlantic and the other in the Midwest, tipped the EC to Trump...

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

https://www.uspresidentialelectionnews.com/2020-presidential-primary-schedule-calendar/

Bernie's path to victory is to make Liz quit by a dominant showing in the MW, and to do very well in the South. Otherwise Texas, Florida, and Georgia is going to kill him like they did last time.
i don't think bernie will make warren quit, i think it will be the other way around.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
i don't think bernie will make warren quit, i think it will be the other way around.
Bernie was too stubborn to quit last time even though it was over 3 months before the DNC. But I do agree Liz probably gets more delegates than Bernie because atleast she is trying to build a bridge between the moderates and progressives while Bernie is trying to turn the Democratic Party into the far left of the Labor Party. But I think the longer both are in together the more likely that both get curb stomped by Biden, Mayor Pete, and Kamala.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Bernie was too stubborn to quit last time even though it was over 3 months before the DNC. But I do agree Liz probably gets more delegates than Bernie because atleast she is trying to build a bridge between the moderates and progressives while Bernie is trying to turn the Democratic Party into the far left of the Labor Party. But I think the longer both are in together the more likely that both get curb stomped by Biden, Mayor Pete, and Kamala.
that and she can articulate the policies/ideas she has (and mostly shares with bernie) on a level much better than what you would hear in a dead show parking lot.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads