Status
Not open for further replies.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I disagree with banning all semi-autos.
I duly noted what his opinion of me would be.
Then how about allowing semiautos with a five shot capacity but no detachable high capacity mags? IOW, allowing hunting rifles. If you haven't read my suggestions enough, I'm not talking about turn-ins of guns already out there, just new purchases...

Reactions: JDCrimson

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
Two things - #1 repeal is a pipe dream. #2 The main reason the last statute was allowed to lapse was the inability to define "assault weapon," which I've typed until my fingers are raw...
1. I can still dream
2. Setup a bipartisan panel to decide what gets added. This is not rocket science.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
There is no constitutional prohibition to stop a vaccine from being researched and produced, though.

I feel like this is an unrealistic proposal.

I also feel that if he were to actually do it all by himself he’s be criticized just the same for that and if he did the next guy or guy after would just undo it with the stroke of a pen.
i like how decades of hundreds of billions of dollars spent by "gun advocates" along with the wingnut puke funnel pushing lax gun regulations nearly 24-7 along with the other macho bs that goes along with gun culture is always conveniently hand waved away when folks who are "totally for reasonable gun regulations*" want democrats to "do something"

*but not that reasonable gun regulation

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Regardless if we're talking about politics or anything else that involves trying to get a group of people to buy into what you're trying to do, there are things you don't do.

This goes back to what crimsonaudio has stated over and over, words matter. How "you" talk to and address people, matters. That's real life. We've said on this board for YEARS, "It's not what you say but how you say it". Regardless of what political side one is on, the reality is to get anything done, there have to be enough people from "the other side" to help get it done. So the name-calling, childish BS that we see going on in the media between the political parties has to stop or NOTHING WILL EVER GET DONE. No one has to become friends, hang out with the families, or even like each other.

But how in the hell does anybody in their right mind think that addressing and talking to a group of people the way our political leaders publicly talk to and about each other, will convince ANYONE (that you NEED to get what you're wanting done) to get on board with "you"? And before the finger-pointing starts, THERE AREN'T ANY INNOCENT PARTIES in this department. I've watched it for years and is one of the main reasons I literally quit watching a lot of national news.
as long as the gun lobby and gop are putting their full weight behind this issue, it doesn't matter how nice, civil , or "reasonable" i am when talking to folks about this. there was nothing nice, civil, or reasonable about how we got here in the first place.

it was an explicit political strategy that is backed by massive amounts of power and money.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I’m with Bazza:

put the egos and hurt feeling and BS sideshows down and get to work for us.

And folks, if they haven’t gotten to work for you it’s up to you to change them out for someone who will go into the room like an adult and get it done no matter who says mean things about them.
i'll wait for the "gun advocates" to put their egos aside before i put much hope into this strategy

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Any excuse to criticize. I think most people upset that Biden hasn’t solved our gun problem actually understand how his hands are tied but are just happy to have another reason to dump on him.
i don't think i've seen a single suggestion of reasonable gun regulations on here that hasn't been a part of attempted legislation in the past 20-30 years and has subsequently been completely blocked by the nra/gop. people seem to think that there isn't and hasn't been a massive push to put some reasonable gun regulations back in place and that somehow magically we are going to find that one neat trick if everyone would just make nice and work together

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
except for the Q people that believe rockets are fake and only exist to fool people into thinking the earth isn't flat

course they are the gop base, so.......
That same base believes you should be able to buy a mortar or Gatling gun, if you want, and they elect representatives (and senators) who know they'd better agree with them...

formersoldier71

All-American
May 9, 2004
Jasper, AL
Then how about allowing semiautos with a five shot capacity but no detachable high capacity mags? IOW, allowing hunting rifles. If you haven't read my suggestions enough, I'm not talking about turn-ins of guns already out there, just new purchases...
The shortest answer I can give you is no.
The next shortest answer I can give you is no to a federal ban, but I can't object to it at the state level.

If I haven't lost you by this point, I'll attempt to explain my rationale. Big picture, I believer the federal government has already overstepped its constitutional boundaries in relation to firearms. I also believe that the states can implement gun control, consistent with their constitution and the will of their people.
Regarding your idea, I realize an actual law would be more verbose, but on the face of it, Ruger 10/22s would be banned, but SKSs wouldn't. Be that as it may, if existing weapons are grandfathered, can the current owners sell them to another person, pass them down to their children, etc? Or would this law be a way to end ownership of the banned weapons with the passing of the current generation? If this became law, what happens when a grandfathered weapon is used in a shooting, be it by a 40 year old, or an 18 year old that killed his parent to get it? Does it turn into "Well, we made a good faith effort, but its just not enough?"
According to this link, https://www.businessinsider.com/us-20-million-ar-15-style-rifles-in-circulation-2022-5 , there are 19.8 million ARs in the US. Somebody can do the math and tell me how many of those have been used in a mass shooting and how many haven't, but I have to believe that the vast, overwhelming majority of AR owners are either law abiding citizens, or are at least law abiding enough that they are not killing people with their ARs.

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
This is precisely why I have advocated in this thread magazine regulation rather than gun regulation. Gun regulation is a bridge too far. Policy discussions on magazine capacity are the better approach.

The shortest answer I can give you is no.
The next shortest answer I can give you is no to a federal ban, but I can't object to it at the state level.

If I haven't lost you by this point, I'll attempt to explain my rationale. Big picture, I believer the federal government has already overstepped its constitutional boundaries in relation to firearms. I also believe that the states can implement gun control, consistent with their constitution and the will of their people.
Regarding your idea, I realize an actual law would be more verbose, but on the face of it, Ruger 10/22s would be banned, but SKSs wouldn't. Be that as it may, if existing weapons are grandfathered, can the current owners sell them to another person, pass them down to their children, etc? Or would this law be a way to end ownership of the banned weapons with the passing of the current generation? If this became law, what happens when a grandfathered weapon is used in a shooting, be it by a 40 year old, or an 18 year old that killed his parent to get it? Does it turn into "Well, we made a good faith effort, but its just not enough?"
According to this link, https://www.businessinsider.com/us-20-million-ar-15-style-rifles-in-circulation-2022-5 , there are 19.8 million ARs in the US. Somebody can do the math and tell me how many of those have been used in a mass shooting and how many haven't, but I have to believe that the vast, overwhelming majority of AR owners are either law abiding citizens, or are at least law abiding enough that they are not killing people with their ARs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.