Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California

Speaking last week at a 50-day countdown event for July’s World Games in Birmingham, Oats offered some more perspective about what went wrong.

“You got guys that put so much time into turning themselves into the players they want to be, and they want to showcase themselves as much as they can, but if all you’re trying to do is showcase yourself -- and we had a little bit of that going on this year -- it always backfires,” he told the crowd of more than a hundred. “It always does. That’s what happens.”

Oats’ commentary came during a broader discussion about coaching a team and being around a team.

“That’s where you get your energy,” he said. “That’s why we get into coaching. You’re trying to pull a group of kids together. I was a high school coach for a long time. You want to really pour into their lives. Just to see them be successful for each other, be happy for each other’s success, see them grow up to be young men.

“It’s hard. In basketball, you work, do all this individual training in the gym, shooting, making yourself as good as you can possibly be -- but if you can’t sublimate yourself to the team after you make yourself as good as you can be, like, all your individual goals aren’t going to come about. And that kind of happened this year, to be honest with you.”

Oats contrasted last season to the year prior, when Alabama was led by senior Herb Jones as it advanced to the Sweet 16 of the NCAA tournament.

“When we had Herb Jones, who worked incredibly hard -- you saw how good he was this year in the NBA -- worked incredibly hard, put himself in the spot to have a season like he did for us when he was SEC player of the year, but then he’s the same guy telling me to leave him out of the game when we’ve got five guys going on a run when he’s sitting on the bench,” Oats explained. “Like, he works harder than anybody in the offseason to develop himself to be the best he can be, and then he’s also a good enough team guy that when everybody is playing well, he just keeps himself out of the game. Tells me to keep them in. It’s hard though. "

Bama9001

1st Team
Sep 26, 2017
Anyone want to take a stab at a depth chart?
We do need someone to do that but also need to see what happens with that last roster spot. I'm assuming JQ won't be contributing until December. It'll be really interesting to see who plays on the Europe trip. I do think we'll have good depth this year.

Who are the contenders/probables for this last roster spot?

BamaMike05

All-American
Jul 4, 2009
Huntsville, Alabama, United States
We do need someone to do that but also need to see what happens with that last roster spot. I'm assuming JQ won't be contributing until December. It'll be really interesting to see who plays on the Europe trip. I do think we'll have good depth this year.

Who are the contenders/probables for this last roster spot?
I haven’t heard anyone at all for the final spot. I know the starting lineup that I would like to see:

1. Sears
2. Burnett
3. Welch
4. Miller
5. Bediako

Bench rotation before conference play:

1. Bradley
2. Griffen
3. Miles
4. Gurley/Clowney
5. Pringle/Gurley

Bench rotation in Conference Play

1. Bradley/JQ
2. Griffen/JQ
3. Miles
4. Gurley/Clowney
5. Pringle/Gurley

I really hope that we get another wing with the final spot. We could also choose not to use it and have it available for next year.

There are a lot of different lineup variations that you could toy with, with this roster. A lot of interchangeable parts. There are also more dribble, pass, shot guys on this roster than we had last year.

TexasBama

TideFans Legend
Jan 15, 2000
Houston, Texas USA
I haven’t heard anyone at all for the final spot. I know the starting lineup that I would like to see:

1. Sears
2. Burnett
3. Welch
4. Miller
5. Bediako

Bench rotation before conference play:

1. Bradley
2. Griffen
3. Miles
4. Gurley/Clowney
5. Pringle/Gurley

Bench rotation in Conference Play

1. Bradley/JQ
2. Griffen/JQ
3. Miles
4. Gurley/Clowney
5. Pringle/Gurley

I really hope that we get another wing with the final spot. We could also choose not to use it and have it available for next year.

There are a lot of different lineup variations that you could toy with, with this roster. A lot of interchangeable parts. There are also more dribble, pass, shot guys on this roster than we had last year.
Just so many different lineups with this team. About all we can't do is send out twin towers. But the final piece like you say is really just another guy that can play some 3 spot besides Welch and Miles (and guard a 2/3/4).

Reactions: BamaMike05

Bama9001

1st Team
Sep 26, 2017
There's not a single guy that's not a candidate to push for major minutes. We'll see how ready some of the new guys are and I'm really interested in seeing how the returnees progress. This season may tell us more about how well we can develop guys rather than turning the roster over every year.

BamaMike05

All-American
Jul 4, 2009
Huntsville, Alabama, United States
I was hoping for more development/progress this year. I picked him as the "sleeper" coming into the season to have a break out year. Didn't happen, but I still think he's got crazy talent just waiting to be realized.
I think he just needs to mature. We need to remember that he was just a sophomore. Not everyone develops at fast rate. We will have 2 more years of him. You need those types of players in your program.

The same set of people that get mad at one and done players also get mad when a player isn’t NBA caliber in his first or second year. Sometimes it takes time to develop.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.