Spring Practice Thread/News/Predictions

TheRealPokeChop

Hall of Fame
Jul 7, 2010
Hueytown, Al
Both James and Parker are small for the Center position. Don't know if that matters.

James is actually up to 295 according to him this week. On the "small side for sec but the new staff won't go nearly as big up front as we did under Saban. We are pull our interior guys a lot and I mean like a whole lot.

We clearly aren't going as some, including myself feared, but the days of the 350 lb tackle are likely over for a while.

Last edited:

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
Seth's actually up to 295 according to him this week. On the "small side for sec but the new staff won't go nearly as big up front as we did under Saban. We are pull our interior guys a lot and I mean like a whole lot.

We clearly aren't going as some, including myself feared, but the days of the 350 lb tackle are likely over for a while.
Who is Seth?

Reactions: NoNC4Tubs

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
James is actually up to 295 according to him this week. On the "small side for sec but the new staff won't go nearly as big up front as we did under Saban. We are pull our interior guys a lot and I mean like a whole lot.

I guess a starting center at 300-305 would be better? Or can you play winning ball at C at this level at 295 with good technique, footwork and smarts?

Reactions: Con

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
Jason Kelce played in the 295 range throughout his NFL career.

He was an okay center.
Kelce was awesome, but also kinda the exception. NFL Centers average 308 so he was pulling the average down a good bit.

Our most recent really good centers were Ryan Kelly at around 310, and Landon Dickerson who is 330+

Reactions: The Ols

TD7

3rd Team
Nov 30, 2017
Land O'Lakes
I guess a starting center at 300-305 would be better? Or can you play winning ball at C at this level at 295 with good technique, footwork and smarts?
295lbs is plenty big enough to play center at a high level. Brailsford plays at around 280lbs and he's rated one of the top centers in college football.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
Thing is that CKD scheme requires O Linemen to pull A LOT so dudes have to be conditioned and fundamentally sound. Curious to see this offense at Alabama.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
I hope Brockermeyer wins the job. I'd love to see a guy who played second-fiddle to his 5-star twin brother, yet stuck it out through limited playing time and a coaching change, end up winning in the end.

In an era of pay-for-play and run from the least adversity, it'd be a good story.
I am with you on that. Don't think his brother has cracked the line up at the froghorns yet to my knowledge. Anyway, good for James and really pulling for the kid.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.

Latest threads