Link: Wisconsin DC Jim Leonhard is leaving the Badgers program after the bowl 👀👀👀

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
A change is definitely necessary. Read an article that under Golding.our missed tackles
have escalated 108 this past season! Secondly turnovers are way down and their reasoning
is lack of being physical. These two go hand in hand. Physical play/tackling causes turnovers.
We won't win another NC with Golding as DC. We did it in 2020 cause of Sark and a great
offense loaded with NFL players.
As you mentioned, the tackling and lack of turnover creation are huge issues. But the third red flag to me is how often LBs are out of position or blowing assignments and that is PG’s position group. You’re responsible for coordinating the entire defensive and you can’t even get your LBs in position?

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
The irony in that is the reason they tackle so well is because they know the fundamentals and the reason they know the fundamentals so well is because they aren't talented enough not to know them and have a chance to win.
It's called DISCIPLINE...😎
I agree, but I think a lot of people have a view of discipline that‘s way too narrow.

It’s an approach to life, not in any way limited punishing violation of rules (or, preferably, not violating them in the first place), or going to class, or making good grades, or being as prepared as the coach for every single skull session, or knowing your assignment on every single play, or executing to the utmost of your ability but within the rules so you don’t commit penalties, or working your butt off to overcome limitations in God-given talent.

The cadets and midshipmen in the service academies would be disciplined in their approach to mopping the floor, or scrubbing the toilet, or any other task they were assigned.

A change is definitely necessary. Read an article that under Golding.our missed tackles
have escalated 108 this past season! Secondly turnovers are way down and their reasoning
is lack of being physical. These two go hand in hand. Physical play/tackling causes turnovers.
We won't win another NC with Golding as DC. We did it in 2020 cause of Sark and a great
I agree. I have no inside information whatsoever. But I’m hoping the fact that Jim Leonhard hasn’t yet publicly accepted a job (and you have to believe he’s had multiple offers) is a point in our favor.

Given the way our LOS, both O and D, has been manhandled by far lesser talents, I have my questions about the S&C program as well.

MTAQ used to be a mantra for the program. Some of our younger posters might not recognize that acronym…..mainly because we haven’t made anybody quit lately.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
The question(s) for us are 1) will/has CNS pulled the trigger on Pete (ie:”Pete, you may want to seek other opportunities. We’re moving in a different direction after the first of the year.”) and 2) are we on Leonhard’s radar? I think there is little question that, if CNS is contemplating a change, Leonhard is on his list as a replacement. Many people seem to think Leonhard’s most likely landing spot is in the NFL though, with Green Bay at the top of the list.
Rumors of where Leonhard likely ends up will probably start circling towards the end of this week, after Wisconsin plays tonight. I think he’s been quiet primarily out of respect for his current players.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
The question(s) for us are 1) will/has CNS pulled the trigger on Pete (ie:”Pete, you may want to seek other opportunities. We’re moving in a different direction after the first of the year.”) and 2) are we on Leonhard’s radar? I think there is little question that, if CNS is contemplating a change, Leonhard is on his list as a replacement. Many people seem to think Leonhard’s most likely landing spot is in the NFL though, with Green Bay at the top of the list.
Rumors of where Leonhard likely ends up will probably start circling towards the end of this week, after Wisconsin plays tonight. I think he’s been quiet primarily out of respect for his current players.
If I were a betting man, I‘d say that IF Saban wants to make a change at DC, Leonhard is on the short list.

And unless Leonhard has already made a decision on his next gig, we’re on his radar.

Whether all of that leads to Leonhard being in Tuscaloosa, I‘m hoping, but I don’t know.

Reactions: Methylred and CB4

MILEHIGHTIDE

1st Team
Apr 9, 2011
There is no sugar coating it, we play soft and undisciplined.

Just imagine if Coach Saban were not recruiting talent at the level he does and has done for years and years. Changes are definitely needed and in multiple areas.

Even stevie wonder was discussing the need for changes on finebaum the other day. If he can see it enough said.

However, I have confidence in Coach Saban to fix the issues, not that he needs it or wants it.

RTR

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
If I were a betting man, I‘d say that IF Saban wants to make a change at DC, Leonhard is on the short list.

And unless Leonhard has already made a decision on his next gig, we’re on his radar.

Whether all of that leads to Leonhard being in Tuscaloosa, I‘m hoping, but I don’t know.
And Leonhard turned down the DC position (according to some reports) at Alabama when Pruitt left to take the Tennessee HC position. So that tells you CNS has him at the top of his list.

Reactions: MemphisBamaDude

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
These are the reasons Golding has to go. I think anyone expecting the defense to suddenly quit giving up points because we swap coordinators will be disappointed.

The lack of fundamentals must be cut out of this defense. Then the points will come down. I don’t care who’s calling the defensive plays, if you’re missing tackles and the offense is allowed to do what they want virtually every play points will be given up. A lot of points.

Tidelines

All-American
Oct 19, 2022
Maybe we can hire an ex Navy Seal to install some mental discipline to toughen them up a bit.

Foleybammer

Scout Team
Dec 3, 2019
Just watched video of practice from yesterday on TDA. Our tackling during drills just flat out sucked. Being a former D Coordinator I would have gone off watching that crap. I just
don't get it.. Bad fits and no intensity. We run too high and don't hit with leverage.
I kept hearing "inside out" which is not specific enough. Need to close on the near hip.

Last edited:
Reactions: TD7 and Cruloc

STONECOLDSABAN

All-American
Sep 21, 2007
Mobile, AL
Just watched video of practice from yesterday on TDA. Our tackling during drills just flat out sucked. Being a former D Coordinator I would have gone off watching that crap. I just
don't get it.. Bad fits and no intensity. We run too high and don't hit with leverage.
I kept hearing "inside out" which is not specific enough. Need to close on the near hip.
I don't understand how something so fundamental like tackling or tackling drills could ever be tinkered with to turn bama into the mess they are now defensively. "well this worked for years and years.....we should mess with it"

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
I still think this is a total wishful thinking thread. There has been no indication that Nick is dissatisfied with either coordinator but we do know that BOB has a contract expiring. Unfortunately, I believe Pete stays on board for another season at least.

99ALUM

3rd Team
Sep 11, 2006
Pell City, AL
I still think this is a total wishful thinking thread. There has been no indication that Nick is dissatisfied with either coordinator but we do know that BOB has a contract expiring. Unfortunately, I believe Pete stays on board for another season at least.
Well here is to hoping Coach Saban hires the BEST offensive mind in the game, because as bad as our defense looks and the inability to make adjustments, Bama will have to get every score they can muster.

• Facepalm
Reactions: The Ols and jjv0004

Evil Crimson Dragon

Hall of Fame
Feb 4, 2018
Marietta, GA
When fans become dissatisfied and stop coming to games, he might change his mind

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.